DC Cookie

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Not For the Faint of Heart

I have a 13.1 mile race to run in 12 days. Now, most people at this stage in the training game would be treading carefully in preparation. However, I was not so fortunate to be blessed with graceful genes.

Jess' Knee

This is the aftermath of my run-in today with two loving and conspiring inanimate objects. At the training facility in which I am currently attempting to broaden the minds of some of our new hires, I felt some hunger pangs at lunch time and thought it might be a good idea to quench them. My pointy-toed heels, however, had other plans for me.

The pathway from the cafeteria back to my room includes a grandiose, carpeted, wide and open (i.e. visible to a large percentage of the students and staff), Scarlet O'Hara-style spiral staircase that one must ascend following the take-out packaging and drink pouring. Apparently my shoe fell head over heels (pardon the pun) with the third stair on said staircase and clung to it like a wartime lover begging not to be separated. As diet coke flew through the air in slow motion to splenda-soak carpeting and walls, my knee, being the gentleman that he is, jumped forward to brace my fall. Thankfully for those of us with such grace, the facility has decorated the right angle of each stair with a copper foot grip. Knee? Meet metal stair corner. Metal stair corner? Meet knee.

And there you have it. My courageously swollen saviour, proudly adorning a deep, one-inch gash requiring 4 stitches (the first of my family ever to require them, I might add). I believe it was my ego, however, that took the biggest beating of the day.

Jess' Knee with Stitch

Let's just hope this suturing heals me in time for my 1/2 marathon...

18 Comments:

  • At September 13, 2006 12:54 AM, Blogger Beakerz said…

    Winner play hurt. At least that's what my coaches used to tell me.

    I mean, can you still bend it? What did the doctors say about running on it?

    If it hurts, well,...whatever, suck it up!

    Quite the personal trainer huh?

    I hope you feel better =) *hugz*

     
  • At September 13, 2006 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    But I bet you made a big 'ol wonderful impression...um somewheres. Play hurt? What is this, the 70's? No it's not going to kill you, but it will take longer to heal if you don't give it some rest. That's about 2 weeks, so either walk it or go for the half, but slower. And what makes a cooper foot grip loving anyway? I say it's been lying in wait there with knowing & malicious intent for years! But congrats for being the first in the family. Post it through to the CBC. Heal up quick Cookie! Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

     
  • At September 13, 2006 2:33 AM, Blogger O-FACE said…

    Oh dam.....Hope things get better.... Thats a sign that your out of balance...I know these things..

     
  • At September 13, 2006 8:09 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    Ouch!

    (Sorry--the second pic wiped anything more articulate from my brain)

     
  • At September 13, 2006 9:01 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    You have my sympathy - and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

     
  • At September 13, 2006 9:56 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    YOWZA, baby! Please let me know if I can do anything for you.

    My eyes watered when I saw the second photo, btw. Owie

     
  • At September 13, 2006 10:30 AM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    oh sweetie! I'm sorry.

     
  • At September 13, 2006 11:22 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    I regret not taking a picture of the gash before it was sutured. Now THAT was nasty...looked like someone had taken a pair of scissors to my knee.

     
  • At September 13, 2006 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I guess that's the way the Cookie crumbles...

    :D

     
  • At September 13, 2006 3:44 PM, Blogger Miss Scarlet said…

    Ow!


    I've never had stitches (*knock on wood*) so I don't know what it feels like, but it doesn't look good.

     
  • At September 13, 2006 4:44 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    Dear God...between you and Kathryn....

    Someone put Namaste in bubble wrap and keep her away from the keyboard.

     
  • At September 13, 2006 4:49 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    heh, i've had those days. sans high heels of course. so, as a stitches vet let me say this. save your money, in a week instead of going back use fingernail clippers to cut the knot on one end of the sucher and tweezers to pull the other through. far quicker and saves a trip. though, looking at it now it kinda looks like staples. those require a pair of side cutters and some needle nose. it will be mostly closed in a week, with plenty of soreness for another week. but you should be fine for the run. and here endeth my rambling.

     
  • At September 13, 2006 5:45 PM, Blogger GwenMarieDC said…

    OH NO! Be careful doll! Good luck with the 1/2!

    Smooches

     
  • At September 13, 2006 6:22 PM, Blogger Beakerz said…

    i was kidding about playing hurt, vj.

    anyway, good luck with the rehab.

    I'm sure you're healthy enough to recover quickly and do great!

    Good luck

     
  • At September 13, 2006 7:38 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    Ohhh owwww!!

    Well, my roomie ran a 10K with a kidney infection on Sunday (which she didn't know she had until later that day)..

     
  • At September 14, 2006 11:12 AM, Blogger cs said…

    I hope you heal up for that 1/2 marathon. Just be careful you don't go out and do it on a bum leg.

    In view of this new trend toward DC bloggers describing and/or photographing their recent medical encounters, I'm planning on filming any upcoming surgeries I might have.

     
  • At September 14, 2006 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YOWCH! Here's to you healing up soon and running that marathon with time to spare!

     
  • At September 14, 2006 1:26 PM, Blogger Namaste said…

    Oh honey! Maybe this is your body's way of saying no running!

    Hang in there!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters