DC Cookie

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

You Had Me At 'Klutz'

I am not a graceful woman. At least, not with my movements. My mind is always working faster than my feet. I started with gymnastics, but quickly grew too tall for the sport. My parents then suggested dance classes, which taught me rhythm, but failed to correct my clumsiness. Still, I kept at it.

jess dance

I got involved in piano lessons for posture, competitive jump rope for dexterity, basketball for agility, skiing for speed, volleyball for power, golf for aim, softball for depth perception, archery for hand-eye coordination; all of which made me a better musician and athlete, but none of which extinguished my klutzy tendencies.

Then I debated my footwear. Perhaps if I switched to spike heels, I could learn to walk like a lissome ballerina. I definitely improved my balance, but limber, I was not. Wedges, flip-flops, sneakers, platforms, clogs, pumps - flats or heels, didn't make a difference. And thus, I grew to accept that, although I could plie, jog, waltz, shoot a jump shot and a bullseye, drive a golf ball 180 yards and race down a mountain, no matter how badly I desired grace of motion, I would always be a goof who trips on her own two feet.

That characteristic never fails to rear its ugly head at exactly the wrong time. For instance, I took a particularly handsome gentleman out for an early birthday dinner last night. In an effort to be slightly romantic, I dressed up in a skirt and heels. Following dinner, I was wandering up the staircase and somehow missed the last step. I did a face-first nose dive onto the floor and left a big black skid mark from my shoe on the hardwood panels. Classy. And humbling. Poor guy has also accidentally been kicked, head-butted and poked in the eye. I'm such a charmer!

We're going out again Thursday.

20 Comments:

  • At November 02, 2005 1:04 PM, Blogger DC said…

    it's that whole center of gravity thing.... sometimes I'll just fall over for apparently no reason, it sucks.

    I had the same experience with gymnastics, so I went to diving... boys in speedos? yes please!

     
  • At November 02, 2005 1:13 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Dale - ever tried water polo? Good GOD that's a pool full of hotness...

     
  • At November 02, 2005 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    cookie you are graceful...I've seen you on the treadmill at Gold's :)

     
  • At November 02, 2005 3:20 PM, Blogger DC said…

    No kidding cookie... except not at my school, I did make out with a water polo player from harvard once that was just about the hottest thing in lycra!

     
  • At November 02, 2005 3:47 PM, Blogger The Captain said…

    I've never seen the word lissome before, and I'm too lazy to look it up. What does it mean?

     
  • At November 02, 2005 3:52 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Lissome:

    adroit, aesthetic, agile, artistic, balletic, beautiful, becoming, comely, controlled, curvaceous, dainty, decorative, delicate, dexterous, easy, elastic, elegant, exquisite, fair, fine, flowing, handsome, harmonious, limber, lithe, lovely, natural, neat, nimble, pleasing, pliant, poised, practiced, pretty, refined, rhythmic, seemly, shapely, skilled, slender, smooth, springy, statuesque, suant, supple, symmetrical, tasteful, trim, willowy...

     
  • At November 02, 2005 3:58 PM, Blogger Stef said…

    Aw, klutziness is kinda endearing. I agree with IX. It's one of the quirky things that makes you you.

    Funny -- where I want to college, our email addresses were assigned based on first letter of first name, then last name. There was a poor girl whose last name was Lutz, and first name started with K. So she was klutz to everyone for at least 4 years!

     
  • At November 02, 2005 4:04 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    You should have worn the outfit in the photo, Cookie. Then he would have overlooked any clumsiness on your part.

     
  • At November 02, 2005 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My "klutz" story:

    There was a fine lady at my gym who I had met a couple times in social siuations. She was one of those people who I would say "hi" to at a party and have a short conversation. One day I saw her across the weight room at the old Clarendon Gold's. We kind of locked eyes, and exchanged a smile and a wave from afar. I turned to go back to my workout and BAM! walked headfirst into at 3 foot thick structural column.

    She loved it and we went out that very week.

     
  • At November 02, 2005 4:39 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Note to self: trip off treadmill, get dates...

     
  • At November 02, 2005 4:49 PM, Blogger Spin_Doc1 said…

    It makes you more attractive!

     
  • At November 02, 2005 5:02 PM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    AWWWWWWWWW so cute.

     
  • At November 02, 2005 5:09 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I love this. . .I have really poor equalibrium, so I tend to fall down, trip, walk into things. . .guys either find it endearing or think I'm faking it in the hopes that they'll find it endearing.

     
  • At November 02, 2005 5:14 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    I'm with the others on this one, Miss Cookie. I think it made you more endearing.

     
  • At November 02, 2005 7:45 PM, Blogger kris said…

    Klutzy = cute. Unless you're Courtney Love. And then you just look f'd up.

    You, my dear, are no CL. ;)

     
  • At November 02, 2005 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It sounds like you're at least qualified to be a utility infielder for the Nationals. Loved the photo too. It seems like you had no free time until you went to University. I guess you've overcome all that by now. Cheers, 'VJ'

     
  • At November 03, 2005 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As long as the Eat Up is graceful all the rest secondary and easily overlooked.

     
  • At November 03, 2005 12:16 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Can we all just take a moment to acknowledge that Cookie has had nice legs her whole life?

    word verification: wzscrm

    Now THAT'S funny.

     
  • At November 03, 2005 12:31 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Which is very much where I like to be :-)

     
  • At November 04, 2005 9:25 AM, Blogger QOS said…

    i've found that the more i drink - the less klutzy i become.
    it's not uncommon for me to pour a cup of coffee on myself stone cold sober, but put a real drink in my hand and not a drop will be spilled.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters