DC Cookie

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

It's In My Blood

IMG_3021
My favourite beer.

Despite the maple leaf tattoo on my lower back, there are a lot of Americans who are surprised to learn that, despite my 12 years of domicile in the US, I'm still a Canadian citizen functioning comfortably with a greencard. The answer when I'm asked if I'll ever become an American is always a posthaste and steadfast "No."

Canadian_Money

For those who think of the US as the land of opportunity and possibly the best country in which to live, I'm inclined to agree. The rugged terrain is aesthetically breathtaking, inflation is regulated, verbal freedom is a legal right not a flitting daydream, intellectual expansion and amicable competition are encouraged, and the weather is temperate. I doubt that anyone who did not grow up with icicles hanging from her childhood bedroom windows in October, or parents who coaxed her away from her after-dinner recreation with a jolly "It's abooot time for bed, eh?," will ever comprehend my lack of desire to engage in the US beyond habitation, higher learning, employment, dating and tax-paying.

IMG_3022
Family ties.

Ask my handsome model/actor cousin who, although studying theatrical arts seriously, has no desire to emigrate to Los Angeles, the traditional hub of the movie industry. For a Canadian, the bond to her homeland is inseverable. I may have physically left the country, but my heart remains encapsulated in the concrete of the GTA.

On my way to visit my friends and family before running the half-marathon along Toronto's scenic waterfront, I puttered across the Rainbow Bridge in my rental car, stared for a emotional moment at the water barreling over Niagara Falls and smiled outwardly [as I always do] at first glance of the sign saying "Welcome to Ontario."

American citizenship is not my destiny, because the words "Welcome to Virginia" do not elicit a fraction of the same response from my heart strings.

Just as I will never marry a man I don't love, I will never become a citizen of a country I don't love. The US and I are quite content with our status quo, common-law friendship.

IMG_3008
Post-race pose.


24 Comments:

  • At September 27, 2006 4:21 PM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    Now I want to be Candian.

    I think as a byproduct of living so close to the border, I always longed for an upbringing in Quebec or Toronto.

    BTW, we get icicles in October in upstate, NY as well.

     
  • At September 27, 2006 4:31 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    see, i vacation in candialand a lot and while i love it i too would never want to become a citizen. i have worked there, my cousin is working there now. i, like you can't imagine being a citizen anywhere else in the world. unless i can hold dual citizenship in cuervo nation. then we can talk.

     
  • At September 28, 2006 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so glad you are being true to yourself and your upbringing...never any shame in that!

     
  • At September 28, 2006 11:55 AM, Blogger Barbara said…

    Oh Canada is pretty nice as far as national anthems go also. Isn't it nice that Blogging goes across country lines and never asks for your passport?

     
  • At September 28, 2006 9:38 PM, Blogger Namaste said…

    Mmmm, Cookie. I love this post. I love that you love who you are...

     
  • At September 28, 2006 11:08 PM, Blogger KassyK said…

    I'm with Namaste--although its not as cool to say you love being from New Jersey but I really, really do. :-)

     
  • At September 29, 2006 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, I've got infinite respect and admiration for 'Jersey girls Kassy! And Cookie you might tell us this, 'my lack of desire to engage in the US beyond habitation, higher learning, employment, dating and tax-paying' but it will not unduly trouble most of the official bureaucracy on this side of the line. They won't mind much at all as long as you pay the taxes/bribes/duties/ and/or tribute. It is ever thus. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

     
  • At September 29, 2006 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So if you meet a great man who sweeps you off your feet and treats you like the queen that you hopefully are...you wouldn't marry him and become a citzen??????

     
  • At September 29, 2006 10:27 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Why would I have to become a citizen to marry him?

     
  • At October 01, 2006 11:13 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    Ummm who is your cousin? :)

     
  • At October 02, 2006 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you don't "love" this country, then why stay here?

     
  • At October 02, 2006 3:24 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Because it's warm and the salaries are higher.

    I didn't say I didn't like it here. The US and I are very close friends with benefits. I use the US for income, and the US uses me for taxes and consumerism. It's a win-win.

     
  • At October 02, 2006 3:36 PM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said…

    Well we need people like you Cookie to do the jobs we Americans don't want to do. Oh wait, that's the Mexicans. I always get the two confused.

    I just hope when they build that wall, you're still able to get back to your lovely Canada for a visit! ;)

     
  • At October 02, 2006 3:38 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    It's much easier to get into Canada than it is to get back out.

     
  • At October 04, 2006 3:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    An truly inspirational Canadian musical story: Via the CBC/RCI last night: Cheers, 'VJ'
    [http://www.chilliwack.com/main/page.cfm?id=728]

     
  • At October 05, 2006 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aw Cookie, good to see you and Cous...glad his studies are going well. Tell him if he wants still wants that tattoo/piercing we'll meet in NYC again, but this time he might actually be of legal age! Oh how we love to corrupt the youngsters ;-)

     
  • At October 05, 2006 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You described what what home means perfectly, for me at least, no matter where you live.

     
  • At October 06, 2006 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is a great post, I love it. Canada is the only country I've ever been to that I fell in love with it the minute I drove across the border. And I have only visited Montreal!

     
  • At October 06, 2006 11:03 AM, Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said…

    Cookie,

    Your post was insightful and interesting. It reminded me of a passage from A Prayer for Owen Meany, where the narrator noted that the U.S. is the only country in the world to which someone can immigrate and feel like an American. The narrator, as a character in the book, lived in Canada for 25 years but never felt like a true Canadian.

     
  • At October 06, 2006 11:15 AM, Blogger cs said…

    I haven't been to Canada since my parents dragged me up to Montreal when I was about five. In 1996, I got as close as Burlington, Vermont. Some day, perhaps, some day.

     
  • At October 07, 2006 2:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    An inspirational (after a fashion) Canadian Movie: Via the CBC, the Trailer Park Boys. Bob & Doug Mc would approve. Cheers, 'VJ'
    [http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/trailerparkboys.html]

     
  • At October 08, 2006 8:52 PM, Blogger Beakerz said…

    Just like how I'll always be an American, even when I'm livin' in Amsterdam for the rest of my life.

    Enjoy Virginia though, I hate that place.

     
  • At October 10, 2006 1:12 PM, Blogger mmafan said…

    Glad you are having a great time, Cookie!

     
  • At October 11, 2006 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just learned this year that Canada Day in Ottawa is much more fun than the 4th of July in D.C. Not nearly as hot and humid!

    Fred would agree with you, I'm sure...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters