DC Cookie

Monday, November 28, 2005

Hometown Heartache

Sometimes, I just miss Canada.

Did anyone watch the Grey Cup (I already know DC Sports Chick's answer)? Shamefully, I didn't. ESPN highlights showed that it was an exciting game. Eskimos beat the Alouettes 38-35 in overtime. Back in the homeland, we used to have Grey Cup parties, and I'd bet my Dad $1 on the game by picking the team with the better uniform. I usually won. Canadian football is always exciting. There are only 3 downs, which means a lot more passing. And you have to give the players credit - most of them have second jobs. Granted, they need additional income, because the CFL salaries are a pittance. Accountant by weekday, Quarterback by weekend. But the guys who are playing (often in the middle of a blizzard) are doing so purely for the love of the game (and the cheerleaders).

I was severely disappointed when I realized this morning that I'd missed a fun Grey Cup party at the Canadian Embassy. Not just because I'm a party girl with FOMO (fear of missing out), but because lately, I've felt a longing for all things Canadian. When I was in Toronto last weekend to visit some old friends, I felt like an outsider in my own country. I wasn't Cookie the Canadian, I was Cookie from DC. My life has extended well beyond the Canadian border and there's no turning back. The eleven years I've been here have changed me; in many ways for the better, but I'm different nonetheless.

Karen, Jess, Shell walking downtown
Wandering Downtown Toronto with Two Old Friends

I lost my Canadian accent years ago and it breaks my heart that the likelihood of getting it back is slim. I miss swiss chalet, coffee crisp, labels in french and english, big fuzzy parkas, skating in zero-below temperatures then warming up to hot chocolate, and the pure simplicity of life. But it's just not who I am anymore. I'm clinging to my citizenship because Canada is where my heart remains, but my path has veered energetically away from the homeland, leaving me feeling just a little bit lost. By definition and by documentation, I am Canadian, but a wandering stray at best; appreciative of my adoptive life, but acutely fond of the old frozen illahie I left behind.

Sigh...

TO-skyline
Toronto Skyline

12 Comments:

  • At November 28, 2005 2:01 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    U-S-A! U-S-A!

    Welcome back to the States, Cookie.

    the Playaz would be willing to go to war with Canada in order to keep Cookie in the U.S., and I think we'd have a good shot at winning.

     
  • At November 28, 2005 2:37 PM, Blogger Stef said…

    Aw, I hope you're able to visit often. I grew up in upstate New York and Toronto was the closest big city to visit, so I have fond memories of going to museums, restaurants, and seeing Phantom at the Pantages Theatre! (The things you remember...)

     
  • At November 28, 2005 2:42 PM, Blogger Sharkbait said…

    Like you said, for the better-but it doesn't make it easy.

    Be sure to keep it alivei nyour heart, your family, and your traditions. It will remind you of what molded you into the fun Cookie you are today-and for that reason alone, you will never forget!

     
  • At November 28, 2005 2:50 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    Toronto is a pretty city, no denying, but you have so many loving friends in D.C. (and Georgia) who would miss you. No I didn't watch the game, btw. I only watched the Redskins lose..again...heavy sigh.

     
  • At November 28, 2005 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cookie, I totally understand where you are coming from. I feel the same way, though I have been in the States for much much longer. You should be able to keep you Canadian sensibilities while living down here. You just can't miss another Grey Cup game at the embassy. Hell with your help I think our beer can pyramid would be higher than the ceiling. (wish I had a good picture of it)

     
  • At November 28, 2005 3:12 PM, Blogger DCSportsChick said…

    Watching the game at the Embassy just wasn't the same without you, Cookie. Everyone stood and sang the anthem at the beginning of the game (even I sang it, except for when the singer did a few lines in French). Lots o' Canadian love in the room.

    Hopefully they'll do something like that again soon, especially since they had a great turnout- maybe a big hockey game? Olympics?

     
  • At November 28, 2005 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh sweet cookie. i will buy you a labatt's with my handful of loonies, wear my toque if it's cold, and sit on the chesterfield with you to debate "coffee crisp vs. wonderbar". you missed the grey cup, but still have the big one: stanley!

     
  • At November 28, 2005 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel the same way about New Jersey - NOT!!!

     
  • At November 28, 2005 3:39 PM, Blogger Eddie said…

    wierd..
    i was just in toronto this past weekend for holiday, and it was awesome.

    i haven't been there since i was like 10 or something.

    really great city!

     
  • At November 28, 2005 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We hope you can get to see more of them. When I last lived in TO it was right on the lake. I got to see plenty of float planes pulling into the dock. It was
    such beautiful & peaceful place that I think my old land lady sold it for a pretty bundle when she moved out west to BC to retire. Now someone will
    understand when I tell them I've got a picture of a Canadian flying Beaver in my guest room (DHC2). I still enjoy just looking at them too. Cheers, 'VJ'

     
  • At November 29, 2005 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What are the chicks like in Toronto?

     
  • At November 29, 2005 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The same as in DC but if you hug them too hard they toot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters