DC Cookie

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Clammy

In grade 6 I was so enamoured of a kid named Teddy that I would write secret love letters to him or romantic stories about the two of us, but never show anybody. One day after school, near the coat closet, Teddy was talking to me about hockey and I was dreamily responding. I was positive he was going to ask me to 'go around.' As he said, "Hey, I have a question for you. I wanted to see if..." I leaned toward him and put my hand on his lower arm. I was touching him for no more than three seconds when he jerked his wrist back and said "EW, gross! Your hands are so sweaty!" and then proceeded to ask me about my math homework. In that instant, I silently died.

There I was, an awkward, insecure adolescent, and the one thing my paramour had commented on were my clammy palms; the same one thing that I had absolutely no control over. I regressed so deeply in my self-loathing and pity that I did not show affection for a man again until high school.

It’s not like shaving my legs where I am one hundred percent in control of how beastly or silky my limbs feel as they intertwine with my partner’s. I was ‘blessed’ with an exothermic soul. Short of inhabiting an igloo, there is nothing I can do to prevent the misty vapour from condensing on my palms. In sunlight, in darkness, in humidity, in arid heat, my hands glisten. It’s the most humbling physical imperfection I can point to.

So of course, unbeknownst to him, when my body heat and my moist hands were the only attributes of mine that Charming Fellow addressed one evening as we lay and watched TV together, I was sent back to the dark moments of my childhood when I had a self-worth the size of a sesame seed. I became so self-conscious that by the time the lights were off, I was curled up by myself so far at the corner of the bed he couldn’t even reach me to put his arms around me.

Even the most confident of women can become crestfallen and ashamed given the wrong kind of feedback. This is why you’ll be hard pressed to hear me utter anything but a well-deserved compliment. Because I know what it’s like to experience those pangs of self-doubt; an emotion I wouldn’t even wish on my worst enemy (that is, if I had one).

12 Comments:

  • At April 19, 2006 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh, cookie! sweating palms is much better than hairy palms! trust!

    love you!

     
  • At April 19, 2006 3:45 PM, Blogger A Unique Alias said…

    You can get that corrected with surgery. "Hyperhydrosis," I think it's called.

     
  • At April 19, 2006 3:49 PM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said…

    They also make a substance that you apply several times a day at first and then less frequently that will seriously end all sweating.

    And if clammy hands is your worst imperfection, and I have no doubt it is, then Charming Fellow is still a very lucky man.

    And that Teddy kid is probably gay anyway. ;)

     
  • At April 19, 2006 4:02 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    HAHA - I can vouch that Teddy is most certainly NOT gay (much to the chagrin of the gay community as he is one of the best catches in the universe)...I'm friends with his wife.

     
  • At April 19, 2006 4:05 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    Now, Miss Cookie. You know when Mr. Charming Fellow uttered that, he had no ideas of the hidden bomb waiting to be triggered. Your piece today made me realize how painful rejection can be: as adults, or even as tiny tykes. Even back then, you took it to heart...and they say children don't understand love. As an aside, they are injecting botox all over the place to stop sweating. I've read about under arms and feet. I would bet the hand, as well. Poignant piece today, Miss C.

     
  • At April 19, 2006 4:08 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Of course! And I have already assured him that the complex was there long before the comment. He can't know unless I tell him, right?

     
  • At April 19, 2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    Something tells me, though, that CF had to practically beat that information out of you, if you are like the majority of women I know.

    Did you give the poor boy the cold shoulder for an extended period of time, making him "guess" what it was he did wrong? ;)

     
  • At April 19, 2006 5:14 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    I've never given anyone the cold shoulder besides my ex (who deserved it). But...yes, these things do have to be beaten out of me.

     
  • At April 20, 2006 1:56 AM, Blogger Beakerz said…

    aawww!!! I feel for ya. Teddy is prolly kicking himself now though, so don't worry about it (married or not ;)

     
  • At April 20, 2006 4:52 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    i too have teh sweaty palms. though, i also have sweaty ass. which is far more embarrassing.

     
  • At April 20, 2006 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chuds photo renders that easily imagined.

     
  • At April 21, 2006 2:18 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    Just be happy that no one can ever call you FRIGID! Clammy hands are definitely a sign of warmth!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters