DC Cookie

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

www.curiosity.com

I don't understand the saying "curiosity killed the cat." I would argue an uninquiring mind insinuates an absence of drive, or ambition to learn. Augmenting our brainpower by unearthing things yet undiscovered is the foundation for the destruction of ignorance. In which case, the saying should be "lack of curiosity killed the cat."

This, my friends, is how I justify the internet-stalking addiction I have. I am curious. People interest me. Hence, I am not afraid to google names, to frequent blog links or to click generously on the myspace pages of friends 6-times removed from my own. I recall an entertaining e-mail exchange between me and my sweetheart just prior to the substantiation of our relationship. I began by showing him the picture that I discovered immediately after having google-searched his name. He responded that he wasn't sure which was more frightening: that such a picture existed in a public domain, or the way in which I had discovered it. Thankfully, he remains humoured that I am so gifted at exhuming little web-nuggets of bitterness, playfulness, intellect, train-wreckage, joy, forgiveness and introspective revelation that keep my curiosity burning. I mean, how else would he have encountered his fur-cladden, photographic likeness if it weren't for my not-so-secret habitude?

As bloggers, aren't we all internet stalkers by default? A term, I argue vehemently, should we adorned with pride.

15 Comments:

  • At December 13, 2006 8:21 PM, Blogger KassyK said…

    I could not agree more...I refuse to turn on the Anon button on Friendster nor do I care that people can track on MySpace. I am curious too. Who are all these people? Some dull, some intriguing...and ALL accesible with the teeniest click of a button.
    Glorious!!

     
  • At December 13, 2006 10:34 PM, Blogger Brunch Bird said…

    This is funny because I've been mulling the potential creepy factor in doing a friends request of someone on MySpace who I've met through blogging. I did it last week and then instantly felt like, "Ooh, was that geeky/stalkery because I've only met them because of online stuff?"

     
  • At December 14, 2006 9:29 AM, Blogger Phil said…

    Curiosity killed my dog when I was young.

    He got his head stuck in one of those black corrugated gutters looking for a squirrel, and suffocated.

    I would like to tender an offer to purchase your boyfriend's coat.

     
  • At December 14, 2006 9:34 AM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    I still have yet to get into MySpace. I have an account and all and do a little 'stalking', but I don't have my own account. So I guess that makes me a little creepy.

     
  • At December 14, 2006 9:44 AM, Blogger KassyK said…

    BrunchBird--I have about 12 people I met through blogging on my MySpace page. They all found me first and I didn't find one of them creepy. Go for it!!

    But if you are using a name like "DElic0US Ronnie!!"...then they might be a tad creeped out. ;)

     
  • At December 14, 2006 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Im curious what "substantiation" means - first time you have sex? or agreeing not to have sex with others? lol.

     
  • At December 14, 2006 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cookie, as always, you are an inspiration.

    My one and only attempt at Google web stalking resulted in finding upsidedown pictures of myself in a bikini on the Dead Sea. I haven't been able to bring myself to stalk since.

     
  • At December 14, 2006 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i didn't know you were dating huggy bear!!??!?!? what's the word on the street?

     
  • At December 15, 2006 2:18 PM, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    Absolutely! We are by nature a bit narcissistic and a bit voyeuristic, n'est-ce pas?

    I've also heard "curiosity never killed the cat," so I wonder which it is. And on that topic, if curiosity did kill the cat, and a cat has nine lives...

     
  • At December 15, 2006 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm right there with you :)
    HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

     
  • At December 16, 2006 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, Pimp Daddy K! That's a pretty funny pic Cookie. Me, there's a good reason for my nom de plume, and I make a point out of trying to be well neigh 'un-google-able'. That may sound impossible, and goodness knows it's getting ever more difficult, but there's a very limited supply of 'stuff out there. The last time I checked it about myself, it was filled with various academic esoterica. Which suits me fine. It's of little interest to much of anyone. That's just the way I like to roll. It's more enjoyable that way, at least for me. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

     
  • At December 16, 2006 8:31 PM, Blogger Foilwoman said…

    Hey, Internet stalking, as long as without evil intent, is what the Internet was invented for. I have friends all over the world (and my daughter has a kangaroo backpack, Australian money, and bedside maps of Australia and Ethiopia) due to Internet "friend-finding".

     
  • At December 18, 2006 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well, at the very least...there is AMMO for the breakup :P

     
  • At December 18, 2006 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    He takes metrosexual to a whole new level.

     
  • At December 20, 2006 1:05 PM, Blogger Freckled K said…

    I'm sorry, but that is the cutest picture I've ever seen. You must have been immediately smitten.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters