DC Cookie

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Jalapenos Don't Grow In Ethiopia

May I present to you a fleeting vignette also titled "only things that Cookie would do." Last night I sat down to a radiant evening meal with my sweetheart and his mother who I was meeting for the first time. The choice was a small ethiopian venue in the heart of the mayhem that is Georgetown on the night of Halloween. Following our beet salad the waitress filled the table with a platter of spiced meat and vegetables. For my first bite, I decided to sample the cabbage and okra that was closest to me. The problem was, what I thought was a large piece of okra was in fact a pepper so spicy I would have happily squelched the fire that was my tongue for the next five minutes with a glass of habanera juice. I giggled as graciously as I could while a few tears streamed involuntarily down my cheeks and the waitress raced a small cup of milk to my aid.

Although we'd broken the ice much earlier with discussions of our similar career paths and mutual admiration for her offspring, this certainly helped to melt away any potential remaining awkwardness. Because what parent would not embrace a goofy girlfriend who can swallow a flaming jalapeno with dignity?

4 Comments:

  • At November 01, 2006 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    tee-hee.

    i heart you.

     
  • At November 01, 2006 3:40 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    i hate that! around here we have about eleventy bajillion ethnic restaurants. it has happened to me on more than one occaision that i just poke my fork at something that looks good and then BAM! YEAH MOTHERFUCKER NOW YOUR MOUTH'S ON FIRE! the worst was my first time eating sushi. "here chud... put some of this wasabi on there. just a dab for flavor."

    "just a dab? if it's for flavor, i want lots!"

    famous last words.

     
  • At November 01, 2006 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    None could resist the power of the Cookie. Now on to the gas problems...

    I recall entertaining my wife's granny by systematically dismantling a large lobster at some local place. I made the claws 'speak to her', and she was positively enchanted, as she too famously loved to play with her food. Always make a good impression at the table. I'm also good with whole birds with beaks too. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

     
  • At November 02, 2006 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Further proof for my theory that Ethiopian food is the root of all evil.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters