DC Cookie

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Payback Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be

When an ex-boyfriend who treated you [euphemistically] with minimal respect enters a relationship with another woman, there are a lot of sentiments that run rampant among your neurotransmitters.
  • “God, what is he thinking, I’m SO much cuter...”
  • “I feel sorry for her, she is currently doomed to co-dependency and servitude...”
  • “Karma is a bitch and I hope she dumps his sorry ass...”

When you finally forgive the man in your heart for being the young, stupid puppy that ultimately YOU had allowed him to be when you were together, these kind of thoughts ebb back into your subconscious where they belong. Regardless, karma doesn’t forget. After time has coaxed you far beyond that dark period of your life, and you find yourself sitting affably at a café with your ex as he somberly spits out his poignant tale of devotion to a woman only to be cheated on and dumped for a less attractive man, you don’t smirk. In fact, you wish you had never intuitively felt anything more than apathy. The guilt associated with retribution is really quite bitter.

9 Comments:

  • At September 20, 2006 5:43 PM, Blogger kris said…

    This makes me so sad . . . for myself, naturally. As nice as I'm trying to be right now, I was so looking forward to someday just knowing - and feeling glee that - I was in the right with this one. Oh well. :)

     
  • At September 20, 2006 7:56 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    i try to lean toward apathy. it helps me get through the day.

     
  • At September 20, 2006 8:27 PM, Blogger VP of Dior said…

    you are a better woman than i. i probably would have smirked all the way out of that cafe...

     
  • At September 20, 2006 9:56 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    It's hard to find a really clean break-up that doesn't bring along some life-long baggage.

     
  • At September 20, 2006 11:56 PM, Blogger Namaste said…

    Totally good call. Oddly enough, I got a message from one such former love partner who explicitly wrote, "I know that what I did to you will come back to bite me some day." Karma is funny that way. It absolves us of investing in voodoo dolls, and really, having to obsess any further once the love bubble has been broken. My latest addendum to this is the following:

    "Watch what you hate! It will end up in your family or your food..."

    :)

     
  • At September 21, 2006 11:00 AM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said…

    Why entertain a conversation with someone who hurt you to begin with...life is too short and there are way too many people in this world to pick from as people who should be part of your life. Why waste time on those who didn't appreciate having you in their's to begin with? I say wish him luck and never speak to him again.

     
  • At September 21, 2006 12:40 PM, Blogger DC said…

    ooooh lady, I had the SAME thing happen to me this week, I think there must be something in the air.... plus, I love this part where karma bites people in the ass and I come out on top...LOVE LOVE LOVE

     
  • At September 21, 2006 2:42 PM, Blogger tommy said…

    Karma is like revenge without the sweet satifaction

     
  • At April 02, 2022 1:58 AM, Anonymous Cameron said…

    Interesting

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters