DC Cookie

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Absence Doesn't Just Make the Heart Grow Fonder

I'm writing this post because I have her on the brain.

PiggyBackSisters

This past weekend, the babies of the family (who are no longer exactly babies) came to visit me. I played tour-guide for my cousins - 10 and 8 year-old sisters who are virtually siamese. From the moment they knocked on my glass door holding hands, I couldn't help but daydream longingly about the period in my life when I had the same relationship with my own sister.

I was the first child, niece, grandchild and great-grandchild on my mother's side of the family; doted on from every corner. So when Lil Sis entered my life, that squirrel-cheeked, even-tempered, blonde angel who hardly ever cried, I fell in love privately. I loved her more than any toy, but given an audience, I resented having to work so hard for the limelight that was once exclusively mine.

j&k as kids_small

No matter what activity I decided to engage in, Lil Sis would look at me wide-eyed and hopeful that I would include her. She idolized me unconditionally. I would pretend that her participation in my playtime was an annoyance, but I adored her company. The more I abused her affection, the more she gave. When we coloured, I'd give her the white and gold crayons while I kept the shades of the rainbow. When we made sticker art, she'd lick the stickers and I'd paste them creatively on the page. When we built forts, I got the master bedroom. When we upgraded our household appliances, I took the fridge box to make a cardboard house and she got the dishwasher box. When we played piano duets, I lead with the melody. When I taught her how to play blackjack I was always the dealer (although I did feel guilty enough to give her dimes back after I'd won)... At any rate, we became inseparable.

jess kristy

jk kids

We shared halloween costumes, a bathroom, notebooks, a dog, poems, jump ropes, stuffed animals, clothes, acne medicine, our first car, chores, celebrity crushes, quirky stories about our quirky relatives, and sometimes even a bed during a thunderstorm.

J&K chocolate faces1

jess kristy pose kids

Then one day, despite my years of denial, it dawned on me. My life without the introduction of Lil Sis could only ever have been half as wonderful, and my life with the departure of Lil Sis in any capacity leaves me slightly empty. She's my confidante, my unfailing supporter, my DNA and my biggest fan. And if she doesn't realize it, I am also hers.

This week my posts are officially dedicated to Lil Sis...because I miss her madly.

9 Comments:

  • At April 04, 2006 6:25 AM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    aww. i too was the first of the all the firsts. for 5 years. i loathed my lil bro at first. now, now he's just a bastard. and not so bad. heh.

     
  • At April 04, 2006 9:32 AM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    Almost makes me want a sister. Almost.

     
  • At April 04, 2006 9:40 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I'm about to cry. I miss my little sister.

    AND YOU.

     
  • At April 04, 2006 10:05 AM, Blogger KassyK said…

    I feel this post SO much. I am the oldest and have a younger brother and two younger sisters...VERY close in age. They are my babies...esp my one sister a year younger...she is like my other half and not having her around makes me so sad. AH I can't imagine growing up without sisters...its not always easy but I would NEVER have it any other way. :-)

     
  • At April 04, 2006 1:24 PM, Blogger Miss Scarlet said…

    Aw, this gave me chills. My younger sis was the same way...she idolized me. Now I kind of idolize her;)


    Aw

     
  • At April 04, 2006 1:32 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    Aww I want a sister.m

     
  • At April 04, 2006 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I miss my sister so much too. She lived here for 4 months before her move out to San Fran, and I hate that she's gone!

     
  • At April 04, 2006 2:56 PM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said…

    My brother and I are 7 years apart. Unlike you I was the last child, grandchild, nephew, etc. and was also very spoiled being 7 years younger than any of the other kids in the family. My brother did not appreciate this. He and I never really got along growing up, though I definitely idolized him like your sister you. I wanted to follow him everywhere. I was devastated when he left for college. Just wait til your sibling has kids! It's pretty amazing.

     
  • At April 10, 2006 10:32 PM, Blogger VP of Dior said…

    awww man those are cute pics

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters