DC Cookie

Friday, August 19, 2005

Time Warp

Grade8Reunion

I went to my Grade 8 reunion this past weekend (yes, that's Grade 8, not eighth grade). I planned a quick, whirlwind, weekend trip to Toronto which I do every 4 months or so to alleviate my Canada withdrawal. Coincidentally, the other two members of the Bobsey triplets (me, Teddy, Sharon) were also going to be in town. Coordinating our schedules is difficult enough (we are rarely in the same city more than once a year, let alone our hometown, since the three of us all work in the States now), so we decided on a reunion. Sharon wasn't about to let it be just any reunion, though...she wanted our entire Grade 8 class to come.

Keep in mind, we had no idea where at least half of these people were. Didn't stop Sharon. Within a week, she had found 14 of the 16 members of our class, as well as our teacher, and had contacted each of them (Sharon - when that viola thing gets old, you may want to consider cyber-stalking as your next line of employment). Everyone she called, who was still in the Toronto area, delightedly agreed to an early Sunday evening meeting at a bar downtown (except for Z, who I guess must still be bitter about being teased 15 years ago, get OVER it, we were 12!).

The meeting felt like a time warp. 15 years later and we all look the same (add facial hair, a little gray, and a few more curves). Not to mention, our lines of employment were predictably in sync with our grade school personalities. From left to right in the picture above, we have:
  • The Perpetual Student (finished his PhD classwork when he decided to go back for a law degree)
  • The Philosopher (okay, I made this one up, because I don't recall what he's up to, and Philosopher just sounds cool)
  • The Engineer (and energy aficionado)
  • The Consultant
  • The Classical Musician (traveling the world with her $300,000 viola)
  • The Investment Banker/Venture Capitalist
  • The Phys. Ed./Special Ed. Teacher (inspired by the Original Teacher)
  • The Stage Actress (got her debut in the Grade 7 play)
  • The Original Teacher (still teaching)
  • The Jazz Musician (who is about to head to Japan to teach English and clear his head)
  • The Attorney

Hell of a class. Blew me away that after 15 years, we could get together just as if it were 1990. Although, I had trouble calling Mr. J by his first name (who was only two years older than we are right now when he was teaching us), pretty much nothing else had changed. Same class clowns, same quirks, same senses of humour...

Hope I don't have to wait another 15 years to see these phenomenal people. They didn't call us "giftees" for nothing. Good times!

23 Comments:

  • At August 19, 2005 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :)

    that's a great picture... ;) and more importantly, a good summary of the entire late afternoon/evening...

    I've never spent so much time within a pub before (g)

    Cheers,

    -HS

     
  • At August 19, 2005 1:57 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    I want to say she googled a lot of them. Then she went through friends and family to find the rest.

     
  • At August 19, 2005 2:31 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    I'm glad your friend Sharon could put time and effort into this to gather everyone up for the reunion. It sounds like you had fun.

     
  • At August 19, 2005 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sheet, No wonder you stand out in this crowd, you're Canadian! This explains a bit.

    Cheers, 'VJ' a UT grad

     
  • At August 19, 2005 3:59 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Did anyone notice my original, horrendous spelling of 'aficionado?' Where was Webster?

     
  • At August 19, 2005 4:20 PM, Blogger DCSportsChick said…

    Hey, we must be the same age!

    I'm impressed that your classmate was able to track down everyone. The closest I've gotten to finding any of my former 8th grade classmates was discovering that my doctor is the older sister of one of them.

     
  • At August 19, 2005 4:22 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Trust me, if you know Webster (aka Kathryon and/or RCR) you'd know s/he is VERY much in the know about a propos (sometimes apropos).

     
  • At August 19, 2005 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very cool. What a fun idea. Sharon is obviously very gifted to be able to track down most of the people from your class.

     
  • At August 19, 2005 5:16 PM, Blogger The Senator said…

    don't you still live in Grade 8? Seems like it.

     
  • At August 19, 2005 5:23 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    That's because in Grade 8 I had the wisdom of a 28 year old...

     
  • At August 19, 2005 6:12 PM, Blogger The Senator said…

    Wow. And, now you have the wisdom of a 56 year old?

     
  • At August 19, 2005 6:24 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    I'm glad you can multiply 28*2, but if you wanted a more intelligent insult, wouldn't you suggest:

    a) that I have the wisdom of a 43 year old (28 year old's wisdom in 1990, plus 15 additional years of wisdom), or...

    b) that I have the wisdom of a 65 year old (at age 12, when I was in grade 8, I had a 'wisdom factor' at a rate of 2.333 times my actual age, so assuming my wisdom has continued to grow by the same proportion, multiply my current age by my wisdom factor).

    Come on Senator (if that's really you), you're better than that...

     
  • At August 19, 2005 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Cookie, Here's a great source for Canadian News and events. The CBC.ca has more news, but they're on strike right now. I bet no one knows...

    Email contact for Expats:
    [connect2canada@canadianembassy.org]
    Website:
    [connect2canada.com]

    Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

     
  • At August 19, 2005 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No worries on the aficionado thing (g) and good luck with CBC. (g) They're all on strike - unless you're wanting to watch the French CBC side :)

    Cheers,

    -HS

     
  • At August 20, 2005 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yeah, we found 'Z', he's with the Canadian 'Hide and Seek' Team:

    [http://www.scs.sk.ca/cyber/blog/canadahi.wmv]

    Posted here too:
    [http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/archive/index.php/t-77293.html]

    I know it's silly. But PM Poutaine says it's funny.

    Cheers, 'VJ'

     
  • At August 20, 2005 1:24 PM, Blogger roosh said…

    whoa whats up with the angry asian woman in the front row. looks like she's about to explode

     
  • At August 20, 2005 10:42 PM, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    "This is me in Grade 9, Baby, this is me in grade 9!"

    I went to summer camp with a buncha you lovely canucks. We've known each other since we were in 5th grade (grade 5 to them) and still keep in very close youch and get together every couple of years. As there are about 30 of us who stay in touch, it is hard to get a reunion together (especially now that a lot of us have families, etc), but we always have a HUGE blast. Glad you had fun, Cookie!

     
  • At August 21, 2005 9:28 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    DCB - I was tickling her...

     
  • At August 21, 2005 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nah...

    you can tell the truth ;)

    I don't think I've actually smiled for a picture in ages. Especially not ensemble pictures ;) Catch me unaware of the camera and I might be smiling, but usually - nope. :)

    Cheers,

    -HS

     
  • At August 22, 2005 1:02 PM, Blogger Jinxy said…

    What kind of a hat is that woman wearing?

    It looks like a giant translucent box....

    ...or the kind of things they screw into the heads of car crash victims.

     
  • At August 22, 2005 1:39 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    JJJ - no one in this picture is wearing a hat.

     
  • At August 22, 2005 2:21 PM, Blogger Jinxy said…

    On your flicker account the angry asian girl has a box drawn around her head.

     
  • At August 22, 2005 2:43 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    I think someone added a comment box to the picture. I'll have to update the photo...that's the only pic I have of her not smiling. She's really a very smily and wonderful person. Hard when you're taking a group photo to get a good one of everybody, ya know?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters