DC Cookie

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Single in her Late 20s

I’m wondering if I’ve become a commitment-phobe.

About four years ago, I was hanging out with a friend who had just broken up with his girlfriend and was looking for a fast hook-up at the bar to take his mind off of it. I remember him saying something that stuck with me. To paraphrase generously, he said “The best chicks to scope out are those pushing 30…you know, 28/29, still single, starting to get desperate for a boyfriend…they’re always prime targets to fall for a sweet line.” I was 24 at the time and thought ‘lord, never let me be one of those desperate late-20s women.’

Here I am, late 20s; female; single. Will I fall for a sweet line? Absolutely! But that’s always been true for me, ever since high school (or maybe even elementary school, like when Teddy told me he thought I looked pretty with my new hairstyle…I think I day-dreamed about him for the next year). But desperate for a boyfriend? Couldn’t be farther from the truth. I made enough mistakes in my younger 20s with the men I chose, that in my earned wisdom, I realize I need to take my time finding Mr. Right-for-Me. Relationships are wonderful, and actually preferable to the dating scene, but being in a relationship just for the sake of it is not a valid option. Of course most of us at this age want husbands and babies, but contrary to popular belief, we don’t want them from the first person who takes us out on a nice date. At this point, we’ve been through enough to know exactly what it is we’re looking for and will settle for nothing less than we deserve. Most girls say it, late-20s single girls mean it. Being single at this point is a choice.

So I arrive back to my commitment-phobe theory. I’ve been through a failed relationship recently, I’m aware of what made it fail, and I’m confident that I know what it will take for the next one to succeed. I also feel like the next person I commit to I’ll probably end up marrying. Deep thought for someone who is enjoying where she is in life right now. Yes, we still do the ‘does his last name sound good with my first name’ thing when we first meet you, but that’s just a female quirk. We’ve picked baby names for our non-existent babies too. Trust me when I say; this doesn’t mean we’re trying to scam you into marrying us within 6 months of our first date. Why rush the relationship? It’s not like my baby-making wells are drying up, I still have lots of time to get there. Patience is a virtue, something the men I meet will have to understand.

7 Comments:

  • At July 20, 2005 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what exactly made it fail? If you don't mind my asking...

     
  • At July 20, 2005 3:15 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    If I get into it, it will look like I'm pointing fingers. Prefer to try to avoid that on a public forum.

     
  • At July 20, 2005 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The interesting part of "failed" relationships, is that we as men generally take the blame. In my case, it was almost always true. My fault, my bad, my mistake. But the great truth of it all is that men feel the pain just as deeply.
    Relationships I feel should be treated as a marathon, not a sprint. I'm just hoping that at the end of the 26k I'll find some cookies and milk! ;)

     
  • At July 20, 2005 9:21 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    I think it's better to be picky and figure out what you want, then settle for the sake of not being single, and then later regretting it. Even though sometimes I get down on being single, I know that I am young, and have my whole life to be married...

    I don't think it's commitment-phobe at all. To me, a committment-phobe is someone who won't do it at all or has never tried to, regardless of the situation...you (and me) are just someone who takes her time and will committ when the time (and person) is right...nothing wrong with that.

     
  • At July 21, 2005 9:47 AM, Blogger Mamma Bear said…

    I agree. I can be in a relationship with "asstaper", "catholic guilt", or many other freakboxes I have dated - but I have ended it because they were not right for me. I am sure they will make someone happy someday, but it ain't going to be me.
    Granted, I still long to be in a meaningful relationship with someone who is not an a$$hole, but I would rather be alone than be with someone who doesn't deserve me...I'm good times ;o)

     
  • At July 21, 2005 5:09 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    being single can be such a great thing. and holding out for the right person is also a great thing. i would think that everyone knows at least one person who's uphappily married because they settled for the wrong person. if someone makes you go, "meh, he/she is pretty good and who knows if i'll meet anyone else?", then that is a very bad sign. anyway, i'll take being single over being in a bad relationship anytime.

     
  • At July 21, 2005 5:46 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Producer: isn't a marathon 26.2 miles (not km)??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters