DC Cookie

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Batman Begins

I'm sorry. I can't help myself. I'm fascinated by Batman. Agree or disagree with me all you want, but it's this blogger's opinion that Christopher Nolan has outdone himself, and Christian Bale has secured a position for an A-list career with his depiction of Batman (well, okay, Patrick Bateman was a pretty solid role for him as well, but he hasn't done much since). I liked Michael Keaton as Batman too, but there is no way MK could ever make me salivate the way CB did when he dropped topless to the ground to do a round of effortless push-ups. ::Sigh:: I give it 3.5 cookies. Why?

A. Christian Bale is as hot as Bruce Wayne as he is as Batman (I know 'lead actor hotness' is not a typical reason to give a movie a high rating, but it's definitely a cookie-factor) .
B. Gotham city, although still somewhat cartoon-like, has a much better 'true-cosmopolitan' appearance than in previous verions. The panoramic skyline view is great - gives you the impression it's even bigger than NYC.
C. The characters actually have a bit of complexity to them. Michael Caine is loveable as the fatherly Alfred; Cillian Murphy just 'looks' like a psychopath with those girly features and misty-blue eyes; Ken Watanabe is perfect as the token-asian-ninja-guy... No one else could have been cast in Morgan Freeman's role as the 'you-can-tell-me-how-it-is-but-i-still-won't-play-by-the-rules-cause-i'm-a-bad-ass-and-i-win-oscars-for-it, in-your-face inventor. And Christian Bale nails Bruce Wayne with his pretty boy exterior but uber-complex set of mostly-believable and well-scripted emotional conflicts.
D. The mystery of the bat-cave and 'why Batman' are solved, and solved believably (understanding that this is by no means a 'realistic' concept to begin with).
E. There is an interesting morality struggle between Batman and his enemy in this film. The enemy is not purely evil; he too believes he is operating towards justice.
F. Chief Gordon (who isn't chief yet) is not a ridiculous, helpless cad, but a somewhat effective, albeit frustrated, cop with a good conscience.
G. Katie Holmes doesn't appear 'that' often, and offers a couple of gratuitous raspberry shots (if you're into that kind of thing).
H. It is a super-hero movie, so it does have its requisite corny lines (e.g. 'we fall so we can learn to pick ourselves up'), but thankfully they're few and far between.
I. Did I mention Christian Bale is hot??

14 Comments:

  • At June 23, 2005 4:33 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    nothing gets by you, rcr

     
  • At June 23, 2005 4:35 PM, Blogger Linz said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At June 23, 2005 4:37 PM, Blogger Linz said…

    ok, so i messed up w/ my last comment and couldn't figure out how to edit, so i try again...with an edited version :P

    movie review = i totally agree!
    Christian = yummy...he can come do push-ups on my floor any time ;o)

     
  • At June 23, 2005 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Watch The Machinist and see if you still feel the same way about CB. He lost about 100 lbs for that movie. Thought Batman was ok - first hour was better, 2nd hour was standard comic book action where you find yourself losing focus due to sensory overload and tune back in, thinking "how the hell did they get from that situation to where they are now?" Also, why would Batman continue to do the raspy Bat-voice when the only person he is talking to is Raz Al Goulash, who knows he's Bruce Wayne anyways? I am going to try that move on chicks...they'll probably ask if I need a lozenge.

     
  • At June 23, 2005 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for your review. BTW, what is a "raspberry shot"?

     
  • At June 23, 2005 5:53 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Blatant nipple hard-ons

     
  • At June 23, 2005 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I could go on and on about how good this film is on its own, and how good it is for the Batman franchise, but Jess already did. I've loved Bale since American Psycho, and he topped it with Equilibrium, and now I am speechless. They finally showed that Batman is truly an adult saga with serious themes. Pretty cool.

    -Kurt

     
  • At June 24, 2005 10:58 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    I failed to mention Liam Neeson...he was also a bad ass. Made you totally forget some of his sappier stuff (e.g. Love Actually).

     
  • At June 24, 2005 11:05 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At June 24, 2005 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bale by far captured best Bruce Wayne/Batman combo I agree. Keaton was awesome too but because he was playing off the best actor to play psychopaths - Jack Nicholson. But I digress, good to see a comical, playboy type Bruce Wayne who didn't give a frick to be pompous and arrogant because that's how rich, single men are supposed to act right? Tom needs to put braces on his daughter, uh I mean girlfriend Katie. Maybe because I had to watch the movie in the first row, but homegirl has summa teeth seriously!

     
  • At June 24, 2005 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I googled raspberry shot and I didn't think a vodka drink would figure into the movie.

    Thanks for the explanation.

     
  • At June 26, 2005 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am not sure if I want to see the movie yet. My husband and I have a strict what-movie-do-we-spend-money-on policy? I will probably lose this one since he is up for going. Thanks for the commentary.

    I saw Laurel Canyon late one night. I am really starting to like CB alot alot!!

     
  • At June 27, 2005 1:16 PM, Blogger The Captain said…

    Hey, since everyone likes Christian Bale so much, I figured I'd pass this along. My favorite movie is Empire of the Sun, which was a Spielberg film made in the early-mid 80's. Bale was the lead in that (along with John Malkovich)though he was only 12 at the time.

    Check it out. Sorry to disappoint the ladies here, but he doesn't have his pecs or abs yet. Then again, I'm a guy and probably don't like Christian Bale for all the same reason.

     
  • At June 28, 2005 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I liked it as well, although it is still resonating. Not as corny as most superhero flix (of course they are supposed to be a little corny - they're comic books). Thought the fight scenes were pretty repetative, but I dug the background info and the vision of 'Gotham'. And let me get this straight Katie Holmes is marrying Tom Cruise. Oh well! And yes, I'm into raspberries.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters