DC Cookie

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Reflections Of The First Third Of My Life

IMG_0014

After the age of 21, many people begin to fear their pivotal birthdays. But my concerns about aging have always been allayed by the actuarial fact that every year of my life has been better than the last. On November 12th, I reached the first rung of my own downward-spiraling milestone birthday ladder and surprisingly, it felt wonderful.

IMG_0022

At the last minute, I decided to host a small and subdued soiree to 'celebrate' (if one can consider a slower metabolism, noisy joints, grey hair and wrinkles worthy of rejoicing) my veritable entrance into adulthood. Upon arrival I grew immediately and blissfully breathless as I was engulfed by the sea of smiles and fervent embraces of 100+ people whose lives I must have touched along our journey. My request for 'nothing big' turned out to be anything but and were it not for my mascara I might have even shed a few tears of gratitude.

From my punk rocker cousin who drove all the way from Allentown to my very first American high school friends; from GQ who hopped on a train from New York to Lil Sis who flew in from Boston; from my co-workers to the ARL girls; from my college friends to many of my cool, classy, creative blogger amigos; from an age-old buddy who ventured from Ohio to surprise me to the reigning party kings of Arlington; from former flames to the love of my life; the lounge was filled to the brim with those I hold near and dear to my heart.

IMG_0021

A disappointing reflection for those who might have been seeking a tale of woe, but turning 30 was not dramatic. In fact, it was the absolute opposite of the gut-wrenchingly abhorrent sensation for which I had built myself up. I feel more beautiful, more content, more stable, more adventurous, more blessed, more peaceful, more pragmatic, more poised and (most importantly) more loved than I ever have before.

For those of you who made my birthday the truly momentous event that it was, thank you! You know who you are and I adore each and every one of you.

16 Comments:

  • At November 14, 2006 8:23 PM, Blogger E :) said…

    Yay! Happy Birthday!

     
  • At November 14, 2006 8:57 PM, Blogger Freckled K said…

    I was only able to meet you for a nanosecond, but am glad that I did. It was evident in that room how loved you are. I'm happy to hear that it was such a great day for you...and I hope that it was comparably the worst you'll ever know in the days to come.

     
  • At November 14, 2006 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ew - wasn't invited. rude. ;)

    Happy Birthday...just a wee bit late.

    -CB

     
  • At November 14, 2006 10:51 PM, Blogger Sparklebot said…

    I'm glad it was so happy. Turning 27 was hard for me--maybe 30 won't be so bad. Here's hoping!

    Happy Birthday.

     
  • At November 14, 2006 10:52 PM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    Yes, my dear, you sure are loved.

    Glad you had a happy birthday. ;-)

     
  • At November 15, 2006 9:33 AM, Blogger Tyler said…

    Happy Belated B-Day Cookie!

    I'm glad that you had a great time and have such a great outlook on life!

     
  • At November 15, 2006 9:42 AM, Blogger Phil said…

    mmmm....cake....

     
  • At November 15, 2006 10:07 AM, Blogger KassyK said…

    Had a great time...Happy Bday sugar...I am so glad we met. :-)

     
  • At November 15, 2006 11:08 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Sounds awesome. Happy belated. :)

     
  • At November 15, 2006 12:08 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    I am sorry I couldn't make it to the par-tay...I would hardly call it a "small dubdued soiree" hehehe.

    Love ya!!!!

     
  • At November 15, 2006 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy birthday (again)! :-) Still bummed I missed it- love that wig on you. Glad it was such a great time!

     
  • At November 16, 2006 8:30 AM, Blogger tommy said…

    !!!!!Happy belated Birthday, Cookie!!!!!!

    Sorry about the dismal "aging" post on my blog.

    You're a fine wine sexy!!!!!

     
  • At November 16, 2006 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Woo ha! Happy Birthday, Cookie, and welcome to the 30-something era. It just gets more interesting from here!

     
  • At November 16, 2006 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A late Happy Happy -- you look so gorgeous in those wigs. This is gonna sound oh- so-internet strange weird - but love your nose. Its a great wig nose, and I'll bet a great sunglasses nose. Something I've always wanted, but can't compare!!

    Cheers!

     
  • At November 16, 2006 4:58 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    It's also a good 'witch' nose as my little cousins used to tell me after having read The Witches by Roald Dahl.

    One gets used to it...and even grows to love the quirkiness of imperfection. It's big, but it comes from my grandma whose genes I am very proud to carry.

    Thanks!

     
  • At November 20, 2006 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HAPPY, HAPPY Birthday! (Got so worked up typing that I left the damn caps lock on!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters