DC Cookie

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

If You Are Going There, So Am I...

A former flame once said something to me as we sat together on his couch contemplating his committment issues. The words have stuck with me to this day: "I don't break girls' hearts, they break their own." Despite his douche-bag-itude, this former flame was wise beyond his years. It was this single piece of advice that changed the way I perceived every relationship I have ever entered since then.

It's in a woman's nature to place blame in every corner but her own at the termination of a passionate romance. Women tend to care blindly for men they deem worthy of their affections, despite the inner logical reasoning that desperately beckons to them the warning signs of blissful dysfunction. This isn't to say a separation doesn't sting, but the recovery can only be that much easier when a woman reviews the commonsensical facts instead of flinging blame like a sprinkler.

In actuality, it's rarely the man or the woman who singularly fail; it's the relationship itself, given all the extenuating circumstances. For example, had I not listened to my former flame when my love affair with Charming Fellow ran its course, I could easily have filled my intestines with spite. But the end of the relationship was not his fault, nor was it mine. We were just two kind-hearted souls who were unfortunately mismatched; something I came to terms with easily on the day of our break-up. Because of this, we converse regularly and I continue to have nothing but wonderful things to say about him. As such, my new sweetheart is that much luckier to have scooped up a woman who, instead of dragging along the weight of lovers who may have scorned her, carries with her the intrepid assuredness of having grown from each of her previous encounters.

Here is an important equation that I wish more women understood:

Blaming other people for a break-up (might I add, particularly the 'other woman' who is ultimately an innocent bystander) = unnecessary hatred = bitterness = de-valued sense of self-worth = extended duration of recovery = baggage = less respect from men in general = never-ending cycle of failed relationships.

Men can't stand "woe is me I got dumped by an asshole" lamentations that women so regularly spew. Ninety percent of the time the heartbreaker ISN'T an idiot (nor even a veritable heartbreaker according to my former flame), he just came to the rational determination first that the relationship wasn't right for either one of the participants and moved on. These things should never come to a woman as a surprise. If they do, it's because she wasn't listening to him, nor to the voices in her abdomen.

That's why I just shake my head in pity for the woman who writes that she hates "ex-boyfriends that dump me and then date ugly girls" and plasters it all over myspace for her friends to laud. Because when the "ugly girl" is me to whom she is referring, she has clearly lost her contacts.

13 Comments:

  • At October 31, 2006 1:41 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I thought you were staying off MySpace? ;)

    This is incredibly, painfully accurate. I've certainly indulged those feelings and laid my share of wild blame in the past. I've even hated my friends' exes *for* them.

    I do have to point out, though, that there are some guys who behave deplorably and should always be called assholes. Not because they ended the relationship, but because of how poorly they handled it.

    Stay beautiful.

     
  • At October 31, 2006 1:55 PM, Blogger KassyK said…

    I 100% agree and also with Kathryn's comment...some men do deserve the "asshole" title bc they treat women like garbage at the breakup but some women do the same (asshole at breakup time)...its less a gender thing and more a personality thing.

    I think its disgusting to hate a new girlfriend for just being the next girl.

    If you ever truly love someone, no matter how much it hurts and how devastating it feels...you should be happy that they are happy.

    Beautiful post, vile MySpace ex...So sorry sugar.
    :-)

     
  • At October 31, 2006 1:58 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Just as some women also act deplorably. Also, hence why I say "90% of the time" rather than 100%. There are always exceptions. Regardless, I still stand by the "stop playing the blame game and just move on."

     
  • At October 31, 2006 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lovely, wonderful, intelligent post (as per usual)--I wish more women understood what you already know.

     
  • At October 31, 2006 3:05 PM, Blogger Mybrid said…

    While I understand the premise behind your post, we can't ignore the fact that sometimes it IS the guy's fault. It can't always be OUR fault. That's just not a healthy way to think about ourselves.

    From someone who's ALWAYS blamed herself and is only now beginning to realise it's NOT always about me. Sometimes it's the other person who's wrong.

     
  • At October 31, 2006 3:10 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Hm - I suppose I glossed over that the woman shouldn't necessarily blame herself either. I think she just needs to weigh all the circumstances at once to really determine whether the relationship was the best thing for her.

    - Does the guy really like her the way she likes him?
    - Does the guy want the same things from the relationship (e.g. marriage and kids when the time is right)?
    - Does the guy provide her with adequate respect and attention?
    - Can the guy handle something long distance?
    - Are there other women in his life?

    It's not about blaming yourself as a woman. It's about looking at the relationship as an outsider and examining what works and what doesn't to validate how much you should really lament the loss of it.

     
  • At October 31, 2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Well said, Cookie (no surprise there, of course).

    The only thing I'd point out is, men don't like the that-asshole-dumped-me thing mostly because invariably the dumpee is the only person that hadn't tuned in to the asshole-ism prior to that point. Too often women either ignore or rationalize being treated poorly, and then fall to pieces when things go south; compounding it by blaming herself just makes matters worse. That's what bothers us (or at least me).

    There are jerks in both genders, but that's usually the exception rather than the rule. I just think some people find spite the path of less resistance; it doesn't make them think about it too much: he/she hurt me, they're evil, 'nuff said.

    I can only imagine that by 'ugly girls,' she simply means, 'girls that aren't me.' Because I've seen you, and you're, um, kind of hot. Must be a translation error...

     
  • At October 31, 2006 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your advice to this woman should be well headed on her part. If not, I shall track her down and submit her to hours upon hours of Namaste-style reconditioning. Maybe a little yoga will bring out the nice in her? And if not, at the very least, it could help her with those genetic saddle bags...

    Honestly, though, don't hate, lest you become the enemy you deplore, which you are already likely to see in your own reflection.

    Your words are wise, Cookie. We should all take them to heart.

     
  • At November 01, 2006 9:43 AM, Blogger The Senator said…

    Extremely well-written...great post.

     
  • At November 01, 2006 12:31 PM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    Obviously she's jealous that you're better looking and hell of a lot more intelligent. Gosh Cookie, how do you do it? ;-)

     
  • At November 01, 2006 1:17 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    See, comparisons like that are exactly the thing I am advising the female gender to avoid. It deteriorates our empowerment when we take nasty, unnecessary stabs at one another. We're all wonderful and we're all beautiful. As women we should embrace each other's struggles, not exacerbate them.

    To be honest, I probably shouldn't have even written this. I just felt a sort of drama brewing that I wanted to comment on in the most objective way possible. But I hate drama and perhaps I've made it worse.

    I digress - next topic?

     
  • At November 02, 2006 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    IMO, the key point you hit on was that a failed relationship doesn't always have a fault.

    I've had my heart broken plenty of times, and once I broke up with someone who thought the world of me. She would call herself unloveable and blame it all on herself. I pointed out that our breakup didn't make her any more unloveable to other guys, then my old flames had me unloveable to her.

    No matter how strong your feelings are for someone else, if they don't feel the same it doesn't matter WHAT you do, the relationship won't work.

     
  • At November 04, 2006 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow. I really wish you had written that post 3 years ago and I had read it.

    Not so much about hating the new girlfriend, I've always tried to be as friendly as possible (most are suspicious of this!) but about the man admitting first that the relationship is broken and destructive.

    I feel sad but relieved.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters