DC Cookie

Monday, October 09, 2006

Bridges

I have decided the most beautiful thing about Manhattan are the bridges leading to and from the island. This weekend as I sauntered 20+ miles across the expanse of the city from Pier 17 to Fort Washington and back through Brooklyn Heights, I crossed over and under three of the most famous of these bridges.

IMG_3098
View of Brooklyn Bridge from Pier 17

I hadn't intended to walk that far. My girl friend was nobly participating in the Avon 2-day walk for breast cancer. I traveled up to the city simply for moral support. I brought jeans, a raincoat and a ratty old pair of beat up sneakers; with the intention of standing at the various cheer stations and reading a book while I waited. But when we arrived at the opening ceremonies at 6am with 3500 other walkers all donning pink hats, pink t-shirts and pink jackets, I knew the likelihood of finding her again was slim. So instead of separating, I just...walked with her.

IMG_3108
George Washington Bridge

IMG_3110
Posing under the George Washington

IMG_3111
Across the Manhattan Bridge

IMG_3114
Manhattan Bridge

IMG_3113
Brooklyn Bridge from the picnic lunch

IMG_3115
On top of the Brooklyn Bridge

Despite my incredible ill-preparedness and aching tendons, the scenery alone was enough to make the trek worthwhile. And by scenery, I don't mean the glorious steel stretches between Manhattan and the other boroughs. I mean the lapels on the back of all the young women's t-shirts with handwritten sayings like "I'm walking for - my Mom...I miss you," or "I'm walking for - my best friend Donna...1968-2004."

As tears welled up and muscles throbbed I understood that, although I was not officially signed up, I was walking beside my friend who had tirelessly fundraised in hopes that I'll never have to write the name my own loved one on the pocket of my backpack.

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters