DC Cookie

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Because The Lord Needs Company

My Mom is a bloodhound when it comes to judging a person's character. She can tell humble from cheater, selfless from self-absorbed, energetic from histrionic, reliable from flighty, fun from irresponsible, trustworthy from gossip-monger, elegant from haughty...all within a first impression.

P7110033

A few years after moving to California, my parents befriended a spirited couple who represented the grand sum total of everything they search high and low for in their friends. In the blink of an eye, my Mom had met her bosom buddy whose very soul was knit from an unparalleled, vibrant authenticity. The bond my Mom grew to form so quickly with the petite and buxom woman who shared the same first name was as kindred as a relationship can be. They danced, they laughed, they golfed, they cried, they dyed their hair platinum blonde, they filled their Christmas houses to the brim with decorations and people, and on the few days a week that they weren't together they were most certainly corresponding by phone. They brought out the absolute best in each other (and each other's husbands), because that's what best friends do.

Pc250307

Sue, Mom Stanford Harvard

P7170166

So you have to wonder how it is that this woman whose smile sparkled as brightly as a diamond, whose hugs were filled with more vigour than a nutcracker, whose mousy, high-pitched giggle could drown out a live rock band and whose laughter was as necessary and warm as the sun in July, could have been taken from us with such unfairly limited notice. Last night, my Mom's little soul mate lost her very short, but hard fought, battle with liver disease.

Three weeks ago they were planning next year's dual-family trip to Hawaii; today they're planning the 'celebration of life' service (trust me when I say, that's what she'd want it to be called). Three weeks ago the two couples were giggling over a bottle of Cakebread Chardonnay; today the world is silently grieving.

The stars are exceptionally radiant tonight, even through the clouds, because the heavens just inherited one of the good ones. If I know my Mom's friend, she has already convinced the angels that they need to be dancing with her.

P7100008

Here's to the [very well-lived] life of an extraordinary woman. Her thumbprints will remain impressed on the hearts of the thousands of people who have been blessed to know her. I hope the Big Guy upstairs knows just how lucky he is to share in her company...

13 Comments:

  • At October 17, 2006 10:45 PM, Blogger KassyK said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At October 17, 2006 10:45 PM, Blogger KassyK said…

    I am so sorry for your loss and your family's loss. She sounds like she was an incredible women and will forever be remembered fondly and with love. :-)

     
  • At October 17, 2006 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great post. I'm crying and I don't even know the woman. You have a gift. I'm so sorry.

     
  • At October 18, 2006 1:54 AM, Blogger Namaste said…

    Cheers, Cookie. A very sad loss, indeed. Isn't it amazing how much one life can touch so many? May she rest in peace.

     
  • At October 18, 2006 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry for yours and your family's loss here Cookie. She sounds like a remarkable woman. Please send this note along to her family, I know it will mean a good deal to them to see their mom described so lovingly from a friend. Brighter moments to you, 'VJ'

     
  • At October 18, 2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    wow. A touching post for an obviously incredible woman.

     
  • At October 18, 2006 10:10 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Aw, Cookie, I'm so sorry. SO glad you got to be with your mom and visit the other day, though.

    This is an incredible tribute.

     
  • At October 18, 2006 10:46 AM, Blogger Phil said…

    cheers

     
  • At October 18, 2006 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wanted to let you know, as a long-time reader...that post gave me chills. Beautiful, and I'm quite sure, fitting.

    "Do not stand at my grave and weep; I am not there, I do not sleep. I am a thousand winds that blow...I am the diamond glints on snow."

     
  • At October 18, 2006 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful, touching. I hope when I die, someone will remember me as fondly.

     
  • At October 18, 2006 3:58 PM, Blogger kris said…

    How awful, Cookie. How wonderful that she was loved so much.

     
  • At October 18, 2006 11:58 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    This is exceptional, as befitting what sounds like an exceptional woman. I'm with vj: I'd share a copy of this with the families. And thanks for sharing a little of her with us.

     
  • At October 26, 2006 3:41 PM, Blogger Mamma Bear said…

    Aww, what a touching post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters