DC Cookie

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Controversy Thursday: For the Kids, a Mug of Molson

This topic brought to you [very loosely, because I am appalled that Mel Gibson's DUI is front page news; so much so that I don't even want to write about it] from a suggestion made by my faithful reader WiBber.

Maybe it's the European influence from my Canadian upbringing that causes me to say that I think the setting of a legal drinking age is moronic. I firmly believe that my ability to hold my liquor and act [relatively] responsibly while intoxicated stems directly from the fact that a) I have responsible parents who I emulate (ok, so they don't dance on stages after doing soco-lime shots with hot bartenders...but that's beside the point; I did say 'relatively') and b) I was not coerced by government-imposed limitations into associating alcohol with rebellion. I was raised on juice and milk with my meals, but once I hit my teens, if I wanted to share a cold one pool-side with my pops I was always permitted. A small glass of pinot noir during a momentous family gathering was encouraged instead of proscribed. I have always viewed alcohol in moderation as a welcome social garnishment because, where I grew up, we were not endoctrinated to think of drinking as illicit and anarchistic. We didn't pound, we savoured. We didn't gorge, we relished. Given my upbringing, by the time I got to a college, getting fall-down blotto from a keg stand just didn't appeal to me.

Believe you me, when my kids are mature adolescents I will absolutely share a frosty Sleeman's honey brown with them on a 100+ degree day like today. And I won't give two hoots that Mr. Washington (or maybe even Mr. Ottawa) mandates that I legally have to wait until they're 21. Horse-dung. I'd rather have them learn early on how to taste the grapes in their reisling than chug 4 bottles of Boone's Farm behind my back.

8 Comments:

  • At August 03, 2006 3:13 AM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    molson and sleemans in the same post!?!?!?!?! i'm down with O.P.P.

     
  • At August 03, 2006 10:28 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Wow. Very loosely, but merci for the credit all the same.

    I agree with you on the drinking age thing in principle, but I think that since we have one, we probably shouldn't get rid of it. Just imagine the first five or ten years after we repeal the drinking age; it would be insane. That said, I do subscribe to the idea that the drinking age should be the same as the voting/military service age. It doesn't make much sense to have those things separate.

    The WashPost magazine cover story from this past weekend is related to this, in a way. It's about 'toxic parents' who rationalize things like buying their kids beer and serving at parties. Pretty interesting, and a little scary.

     
  • At August 03, 2006 11:26 AM, Blogger A Unique Alias said…

    It's a slippery slope, Cookie.

     
  • At August 03, 2006 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I see two issues… the Law and adherence to the Law.

    The Law – If alcohol is going to be legal, it should become so when you can vote, serve in the military, call for phone sex (and not have to lie about your age)... you know, all the important stuff you do when you turn 18. Lowering the drinking age below that takes the power out of the parent’s hands. If my 14 year old could walk into 7-11 and buy a 40, I take issue with that… It’s not right and shouldn’t be legal.

    “With parental supervision” or more precisely “in the privacy of your own home” that you mention. Nearly impossible to regulate, for obvious reasons, but should not be legal. But if it were, would there then be a limit as to exactly how much your child could consume? Exactly how much damage to an adolescent liver would be tolerable? How young is too young? “A shot of grey goose mixed with breast milk really puts my 6-month-old down for the night. Whatta godsend!”

    Adherence to the Law – I just happen to think the message “only some laws apply to us/me/you” is a dangerous one. Especially when you’re asking them to make good choices elsewhere re: drinking and driving, drugs, respecting authority, etc…


    Other food for thought

     
  • At August 03, 2006 3:36 PM, Blogger Raincouver said…

    sleemans good... yum!

     
  • At August 03, 2006 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you saying that one shouldn't experience the subtle flavors of Boone's Farm? I have some excellent Stawberry Hill in my Boone's Farm cellar if you'd like to try it. 1993 was an superb vintage for Stawberry Hill.

     
  • At August 04, 2006 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree totally with your plan. Growing up I could have a glass of wine with my parents if I wanted, and I think taking away the "taboo" factor of drinking made me marginally more responsible than my peers in high school. What I couldn't figure out were my friends growing up whose parents would let them have absolute ragers in their apartments, houses, etc (grew up in NYC) with no regard for liability, etc. That was crazy.

    I was also unaware that Canada was in Europe ;).

     
  • At October 26, 2022 12:24 AM, Anonymous Insulation Contractors Broken Arrow said…

    Thank youu for sharing this

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters