DC Cookie

Monday, July 10, 2006

Lost Dog Syndrome

In multiple occasions over the past month I have initiated encounters with people who, on various levels of intimacy from acquantance to ex-boyfriend, have proved at some point over the course of our interactions (or relationship, if you will) capable of full-blown asscorn-itude. And in every instance, out of loving concern, my friends have questioned why I still deem these people worthy of my time.

Basically, it boils down to two things; my huge heart and my uncanny ability to shed my grudges. I don't forget, but I do forgive - openly, happily and wholly. Forgiving does not mean losing sight of who a person is and what s/he has done in his past. Forgetting would leave me vulnerable to repeat a mistake, but forgiving relieves me of the negative energy I might otherwise be burdened to harbour. Every person I have met on my life journey has taught me something valuable and the way I see it, as long as I understand exactly what each person can contribute to my growth, prior sins should not necessarily result in total ex-communication.

I have so much kindness to share with the world and if I refuse to (for example) talk to a man just because he was a total jackass of a boyfriend, how in the world will he ever become the better person I'd still love to think he is able to be if I completely shut him out as a friend (provided it is blatantly clear that I would never be willing to cycle back to our prior state of uber-flawed romance)?

My mom once told me she believes that I have a "stray dog syndrome." In my desire to save the world, I am drawn to people with problematic self-character issues that need fixing. She's probably right. Hence why my version of "worthy" is ultimately skewed.

At least I'm aware...

10 Comments:

  • At July 10, 2006 10:10 AM, Blogger KassyK said…

    I hear you...I used to do the SAME thing. I have about 14 different groups of friends and half of them have done SOMETHING shitty in the past that I have forgiven bc there are other redeeming qualities that drew me to them in the first place. We are just nice people...as long as it doesn't become pushover syndrome (as I know it will not for either of us)...then I think its ok. :-)

     
  • At July 10, 2006 10:46 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    I think this clearly speaks to your generous nature, that you're so willing to let bygones be bygones. I would just make sure that those people aren't taking up time you could be spending with the ones who aren't part of the AssHat Brigade. If they are, then you might need to thin the herd a little.

     
  • At July 10, 2006 1:18 PM, Blogger The Senator said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At July 10, 2006 1:18 PM, Blogger The Senator said…

    My friends call it "wounded bird" syndrome. But, "straying dog" works, too.

    You're a caregiver, probably.

     
  • At July 10, 2006 2:10 PM, Blogger tommy said…

    You shoulds have been a nurse Cookie. You have all the wonderful qualities.


    I'm curious, how do women feel about sex with their ex after the break-up. Is that seriously taboo or is it acceptable if the post-breakup friendship is very good or even great?

     
  • At July 10, 2006 4:21 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    Just remember that some lost dogs make the absolute best pets.

     
  • At July 10, 2006 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...and sometimes they suddenly bite your kids in the face

     
  • At July 11, 2006 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have a future in the ministry of one sort or another. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

     
  • At July 11, 2006 8:13 AM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    I'm like that too - but there are just a FEW people who really don't deserve our kindness in the end...

    Check out the hot pic - thanks!! :)

     
  • At July 12, 2006 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When you really care about someone deeply, is it a strength or weakness to walk away? How much do we "owe" the ones we love?

    To echo some comments here, I think as long as it's not "pushover" syndrome, it's ok. But you can't go on as if nothing happened. You can't help someone be a better person unless they know (and believe) how they acted was/is wrong.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters