DC Cookie

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

It's The Little Things

I'm going to let the hapless male 'players' in on a little secret. The art of seducing a woman has everything to do with your choice of words and your execution. Becoming single again, and having a very low tolerance for wasted conversation (or general b.s. at all), I am incredibly attuned to the power of a strong pick-up line. Although a line is just a provisional means to an end, it can make or break an opportunity.

For example, let's take the following real-life introduction attempts from three different (but equally handsome) men and I'll explain who actually kept my attention in each scenario.

The status question

  • First Guy: "Where is your boyfriend?" That has got to be the lamest question in the book. He's prying about my status so blatantly that it's almost...desperate.
  • Second Guy: "Can I be your boyfriend?" Yes! Absolutely! I met you three minutes ago. Clearly, I have enough information about you to make such a committed decision.
  • Third Guy: "Whoever gets to be with you is a very lucky man." Not bad. A little cheesy, but the difference here is that he a) doesn't assume anything about my status and b) leaves it in my court to offer him more information at my own discretion. Subtlety is key. Throw the bait of self-assured interest, and most women will bite.

The compliment

  • First Guy: "You're hot." So is Chasey Lane, but she's a ho. The word 'hot' implies sexual desire, rather than appreciation for my natural physical comeliness.
  • Second Guy: "You have a beautiful smile." Alright, that's seriously a nice compliment and I always say thank you. The problem here is that I hear that phrase from everyone, including my grandparents, my hairdresser and my cleaning service. Just like "You have beautiful eyes." It's not memorable.
  • Third Guy: "I love your freckles, you must be Irish." The man who said that to me got a full hour of my time and my phone number. Given my tan, and the shape of my nose, I usually get asked if I'm Italian, Jewish, Spanish or Greek - never Irish. Thing was, he was dead on. Grandpa was red-headed and straight off the boat. The shock of a man picking up on that impressed me.

The close

  • First Guy: "You'll have to give me your number, I want to call you." Nope, I don't haaaave to do anything. Too aggressive. Instead, I'll suggest that he write his on a napkin, which I'll use to hand off to the nearest bathroom attendant when he's gone.
  • Second Guy: "I'd love to take you out this week." This works, sometimes; but only when the man is Eric Bana hot. Otherwise it oozes 'lack of other options.'
  • Third Guy: "I've really enjoyed talking to you. I'd love to continue this conversation." Again, this type of close gives me opportunity to provide my number willingly before it is officially requested. Women much prefer the power of choice over obligation.

10 Comments:

  • At June 13, 2006 4:45 AM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    CHASEY. IS NOT. A HO!!!!!!!!!!!!

    take it back take it back take it back!

     
  • At June 13, 2006 8:57 AM, Blogger Phil said…

    Where were you when I was 15?

     
  • At June 13, 2006 9:08 AM, Blogger Tyler said…

    Interesting post. To relate it a bit to Velvet's post, what were the ages of the 3 different guys?

     
  • At June 13, 2006 9:32 AM, Blogger KassyK said…

    Great post and very true...I love esp the comment about him asking your nationality. Some guy at a bar once was like "I love Hungarian women-You are a lovely vision of one"...now-I look more Irish than anything with this red hair and white skin (but I am actually Eastern European and Middle Eastern) so to have him pinpoint my EXACT heritage. Shows he was a conisouir of things in general. Wow that sounded cheesy-I feel your post.

     
  • At June 13, 2006 10:13 AM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said…

    After a few more drinks, all those scenarios would have ended the same way for me...me waking up, wondering where I am and who that guy is and how the hell I am supposed to get home.

     
  • At June 13, 2006 12:30 PM, Blogger Marci said…

    Gah! I totally agree with all of this!

    Although it can be HYSTERICAl when they guess the heritage. I had one dude tell what a beautiful Latin woman I was.

    Me, with my pasty white, vein-showing, freckled skin. My girlfriend and I busted out laughing on the spot.

     
  • At June 13, 2006 12:46 PM, Blogger Madelyn said…

    Why you, V, and Kathryn haven't co-authored a book and hit the Today Show - Oprah - View circuit is beyond me. Get to it.

     
  • At June 13, 2006 4:20 PM, Blogger A Unique Alias said…

    You must be kidding. Some guy you had just met asked "Can I be your boyfriend?"

    I have to call shenanigans unless he was like eight years old.

     
  • At June 13, 2006 11:07 PM, Blogger roosh said…

    "Whoever gets to be with you is a very lucky man."

    C'mon.. that's AWFUL!!!!

     
  • At June 14, 2006 11:19 AM, Blogger O-FACE said…

    Chasey is not a hooooooo........!!!!!

    Yeah take it back.....

    Do I still have time to enter????

    I saw you....walking in the rain....You were holding hands and I'll never be the same.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters