DC Cookie

Monday, June 12, 2006

It Was The Wine

The happy hour was, unfortunately, scheduled the night before my annual 10-K. I said that I would stop by for a quick glass of water and leave by 8:30. I missed the last happy hour and wanted to represent, even if my attendance were brief. When I couldn't get to the event until 8:00 because of work, and showed up frazzled, in my work clothes, with my hair in a pony tail, I decided to reset my departure deadline to 9:00 and augmented the controversy of my beverage by ordering an orange juice spritzer. However, that did not relax my impatient heart beat. I downed a highball of H2O - still no luck. With FOMO and frustration kicking into high gear, I feared I would never get to sleep that night and I would be wholly enervated by gun time. So with Circle V's coaxing, I said screw it and ordered a glass of hideously insipid, but momentously soothing sauvignon blanc. I reset my departure time again to 9:30...max.

Jess Learns Sign Language
Robin teaches Cookie some dirty words.

At which point, one of my absolute favourite bloggers joined the festivities with her husband. My conversations with Barbara are typically the highlight of a blog happy hour for me. It's refreshing that, in the midst of lap-dances, naughty sign language, strategic avoidance of anything romantically obvious or dramatic, walk-offs, loud music, alcoholic self-indulgence and flirtation, I can have an extended and honest conversation with someone as magnetic as myself. The creative connection masks our demographic differences. After each encounter, I am left just that much wiser.

I digress. By the time Barbara made her exit, I had, yet again, reset my departure time to 10:00 at the latest (which became 10:30 in what we fondly call Cookie-time). There were still a lot of people I had to meet, hug, kiss and fondle before making my abnormally early exit.

Jess_Race Finish

And since you're dying of suspense, the next day I woke up before the sunshine and ran the fastest 10-K of my life. For that, I'll thank the glorious weather, the break-up diet, and the droll DC bloggerazzi (a word, I believe, I just made up; but we'll let that slide).

13 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters