DC Cookie

Friday, May 19, 2006

New Roommate

Lil Sis and I tried to share a room when I seven and she was four. Mom and Dad moved my bed into her room, and every night was a slumber party. Problem was, I was so excited that I annoyed the piss out of her by talking all night. About my crush on Marlon Jackson, about how plump her tummy was, about our dog's flatulence... Each night ended with her squealing at the top of her lungs and my irate parents having to sit outside our door until I fell asleep. Our cohabitation lasted a grand total of 5 nights.

kristy, jess

As my maturity finally caught up with my age (I think it took until first year of university), my sister and I began to revisit the idea of becoming roommates again when we graduated from college. I couldn't imagine a better living arrangement. Me and my favourite person on earth sharing a roof without the constrictions of parental guidance.

Jess, Kristy

But alas, I graduated and moved to DC; Lil Sis graduated and moved to New York. She also had a very serious, long-term boyfriend, so I assumed the roommate idea would remain an unfulfilled dream.

Slowly, however, the obstacles have unwound. She left New York to go to grad school. She broke off her relationship. She got a summer internship in DC. My current roommates adore her even more than they like me. She moves here tomorrow...

For the next two months, I will be living out what will be, without question, the best summer of my life. Me and Lil Sis. Roommates for the first time since I was seven.

18 Comments:

  • At May 19, 2006 12:15 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    It's so unfair that you both got the tall genes...

     
  • At May 19, 2006 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can totally relate. My lil sis and I are three years apart as well. She just graduated from college, and while we're talking about living together next year -- for now I'll have to settle with her living four houses down from me on my street. Apparently the guy from Craigslist got 70 offers on the house, but chose my sis because he thought it would be cool if her sister lived on the same street. I'm so excited about it!

     
  • At May 19, 2006 12:33 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Great news!!!!!

     
  • At May 19, 2006 12:38 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    Will you be getting a bunk bed?

     
  • At May 19, 2006 1:33 PM, Blogger Mamma Bear said…

    How fun! I have two cousins who have been like my sisters...in fact, we are dumb and call each other "sisser" :O)

     
  • At May 19, 2006 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YaY!! i'M SO EXCITED, TOO!

    WOO-HOO...NOW, IF WE COULD JUST CONVINCE HER TO STAY IN DC 4-EVER!

     
  • At May 19, 2006 2:22 PM, Blogger Miss Scarlet said…

    I think my sister is the only person I would WANT to be roommates with. Haha!

     
  • At May 19, 2006 2:25 PM, Blogger O-FACE said…

    Congrats..I am a twin and can not live with any other male outside of my bro, within the milkyway so I definitely can identify with the post. Plus your sis has a tour guide and DC mentor which makes life so much easier...Welcome...

    Have a great weekend folks.....

     
  • At May 19, 2006 2:51 PM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    Exciting!!

     
  • At May 19, 2006 3:12 PM, Blogger KassyK said…

    I have two sisters that live in NYC and we always said that we would be the only people we could live with!! Well-ok, I've said that. But I feel you on the love and that is SO exciting and fun...

     
  • At May 19, 2006 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I guess that now that you're the cool lil' sis living in DC, she must've begged to move in with you. Especially after reading your blog! Question is: did she have to bribe you with a pound of Tim Horton's? Or maybe some coffee crisp? Oooh... clodhoppers... yummy! Sounds like it will be lots of fun. Just learn from memory and let her sleep this time, will ya!

    Bon weekend a toi et ta souer.
    - Raincouver

     
  • At May 19, 2006 4:04 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    (I think you meant 'drawer'?)

    You are referring to the Trundle Bed.

     
  • At May 19, 2006 4:40 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    i wanna room with your sister. hehehehehehehe. i mean... uhh... good for you!

     
  • At May 19, 2006 8:48 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    I look forward to reading your adventures together during the summer. It's always nice to start a season with such a positive in place.

     
  • At May 19, 2006 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay, how exciting! I live with my little sister, and it's awesome--so I'm super-pumped that you get to experience the same joy and fun!

     
  • At May 20, 2006 12:01 PM, Blogger Tyler said…

    That's great! My sister has lived with me the last 2 summers and they were so much fun! Unfortunately this summer she'll be elsewhere.

     
  • At May 20, 2006 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Too. Damn. Cute! I see some double dating in your future. And there's so many souls to save in DC sis might even want to stick around. It's one of the few places in the world where you can meet the demons face to face and perhaps get them to cough up some dough for a worthy cause. (OK Once every couple of decades or so...still it might be worth a look). Just a thought. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

     
  • At May 21, 2006 11:32 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Flashing back to the night you and Namaste went out and have pictures of yourselves hanging off an entry gate somewhere...fast forward to imagining the havoc you and Cookie Junior are going to bring to D.C....oh boy.

    Keep my number handy. I'll post your bail.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters