DC Cookie

Thursday, May 25, 2006

I Have Loved A Gentleman

There are men who come into your life who are sweet, tender, and treat you with the sort of gentle kindness that a woman deserves. There are men who come into your life who are reliable, safe and trustworthy. There are men who come into your life who make you laugh and help you take yourself less seriously. There are men who come into your life and physically blow you away, so much so that the thought of another man’s touch never enters your mind. There are men who come into your life whose embrace makes you feel as secure and warm as you did in your mother’s womb.

Jess, Chris_cropped

And then…there is Charming Fellow; the kind of man who is greater than the sum total of all the other men who have tried to win my heart before him. A man who stands so far apart from the pack that the minute he entered my life, I became a better person. I’m stronger. I’m more patient. I actually shave my legs now.

I have adored Charming Fellow since the moment we met, in a dusky bar, at the most inopportune of times. When the dust of previous lovers settled, we managed to find each other. After our first un-date (we both swore we were just friends), I came back to Namaste’s humble cottage and jumped around like a squealing teenager. When our first kiss left me in a puddle of speechlessness, I instantly stopped considering anyone else. When a few reckless, unguarded tears streamed from both of our faces during a heartfelt conversation, and I understood for the first time that I did, in fact, make the same lasting impression on him that he has made on me, I fell in love.

Jess, Chris at Cloud

The clouds this morning were a welcome relief. In all my months of denial, even the electron-infused emotional connection that we so tenderly shared in those aching moments of hopeless expression does not change that I am vinegar and he is oil. Our desires are polar. There are more than one hundred things I would do to change this, but for now, the effort would be futile.

With nothing but the most honest admiration, Charming Fellow remains securely steadfast on the pedestal on which I put him from day one, and a piece of my heart will always belong to him. I would never ask for a single second of our time back. He is, without a doubt, a gift from above.

So with overwhelming and surprising sadness, forgive me if I disappear for a few moments to regroup. This Charming Fellow character has made quite the momentous impact on my sensory glands…

Besos,

Cookie

28 Comments:

  • At May 25, 2006 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cookie,
    Oil and vinegar do go together. At least on salads. Can't you both go green?

    I have a friend who met a lovely girl at a local bar here in Vancouver, about five years ago. It didn't seem serious at first, but they too fell in love and next thing you know they moved in together. A year and a half later they bought a house in the suburbs (but still came downtown, or we'd never see them again). Another year and a half later she became pregnant and their beautiful baby boy was born about a year ago.

    Last month, they finally tied the knott, in an all-inclusive Caribbean resort, in front of 60 of us, their closest friends. Had you asked me if I thought this was possible five years ago, I would've said you were nuts! The point of my story: never rule anything out.

    Cheer up, Cookie. :-)
    - Raincouver

     
  • At May 25, 2006 12:45 PM, Blogger O-FACE said…

    *sniff

    He looks just like John Calipari

     
  • At May 25, 2006 12:51 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Perhaps a far more handsome version of John Calipari, but I see the resemblance.

    Although CF would not be caught dead in a sweater like this.

     
  • At May 25, 2006 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Something about which there can be no controversy. Cookie deserves all the time, and whatever else she may need, to regroup.

     
  • At May 25, 2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    No comment.

    Well, except to say you just might be too good for ANYONE. Seriously. That post was achingly sweet and heartfelt.

     
  • At May 25, 2006 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So sorry. Best wishes.

     
  • At May 25, 2006 1:12 PM, Blogger KassyK said…

    Oh sweetie...that was lovely...:-) I dont even know you...but I get it. 100%.

     
  • At May 25, 2006 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At least now the bar has been set, doll.

     
  • At May 25, 2006 1:18 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    You have no idea...and for that I am forever thankful.

     
  • At May 25, 2006 1:36 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    BOO- I mean..

    Sorry, Cook.

     
  • At May 25, 2006 2:01 PM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said…

    :(

    Drink? Or ten drinks?

     
  • At May 25, 2006 2:11 PM, Blogger Mamma Bear said…

    I am too sad to say next!
    :(

     
  • At May 25, 2006 2:44 PM, Blogger Tyler said…

    Very well written post.

    I am sorry to hear what it says though... :(

     
  • At May 25, 2006 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmm. This post reminds me of one of my favorite poems by Hafiz. I think you'll like it, Cookie...and CF, if you're reading this, you know I wish you well, too...

    "The Sun Never Says"

    Even
    After
    All this time
    The sun never says to the earth,

    "You owe Me."

    Look
    What happens
    With a Love like that,
    It lights the
    Whole
    Sky.

    Hugs to you both.

     
  • At May 25, 2006 4:44 PM, Blogger Sharkbait said…

    I don't normally have much to say here but it takes a very mature individual to have the attitude that you do.

    You are both lucky people. Not everybody experiences true love.
    Count your lucky stars and keep smiling.

     
  • At May 25, 2006 5:28 PM, Blogger ezmeralda said…

    I wish I could express to you how perfect the timing of this post is. After three years, I am having to do the same thing - let go. Not a pleasant task but necessary.

    Best of luck.

     
  • At May 25, 2006 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Geez that was very sweet & touching Cookie, just lovely. I'm sorry to hear it was necessary too. Like Raincouver, I was hoping for the oil & vinegar to work it out somehow, I've seen it done too. Here's hoping that friends can help ease the transition and heartache. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

     
  • At May 26, 2006 10:54 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    My sympathy... and empathy, as well. Take care of you, and thank you for writing.

     
  • At May 26, 2006 11:28 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Sigh. I'm sorry honey. This love stuff is hard, isn't it?

     
  • At May 26, 2006 12:14 PM, Blogger The Blonde Menace said…

    This is very beautifully written and it made me weepy. I have similar sentiments towards my ex-boyfriend, he and I were polar opposites and despite our amazing chemistry it was just too hard to try to make it work, so I feel as if I relate very much to what you wrote in this post. It was somewhat recent so I still feel bruised by the situation, but it's true that time heals all wounds, even if it doesn't heal them as quickly as we would like. It is very painful to realize that sometimes love really isn't enough. My heart goes out to you and I hope that you get through this, I haven't read too many of your posts yet but from what I have read you seem like a very strong and brilliant woman so take care of yourself. And thank you for sharing this, your words have touched me deeply, as corny as that may seem.

     
  • At May 26, 2006 4:49 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    Nothing is necessarily forever. Some time apart may convince you that what you had between you was actually the real thing. There is nothing more boring than a couple who are totally alike!

     
  • At May 26, 2006 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just found your site from another link. What a sad posting ... but eloquently written! I fear sounding trite, but perhaps, better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all?
    If I were you, I'd delete my comment and hit me ... but I like your blog so please don't delete me!

     
  • At May 27, 2006 1:00 PM, Blogger Law-Rah said…

    It is sad that deep hurt can bring our words and emotions to the surface in such an eloquent way.

    Beautiful post. G'Luck and know that many of us feel your same pain.

     
  • At May 28, 2006 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lovely post

     
  • At May 29, 2006 10:13 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    And so it goes...

     
  • At May 30, 2006 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, just saw this. nice post. sorry cookie.

     
  • At May 31, 2006 9:25 PM, Blogger Kendrick said…

    Reading this particular piece, I realize how much room I have to improve in my writing. It expresses a feeling (one I am quite familiar with, but can't express well) in a way that is so clear and so moving. Although I am sorry to hear the news, I appreciate how you put it into words.

    A long time reader, first time commenter.

     
  • At May 31, 2006 9:34 PM, Blogger VP of Dior said…

    i'm just now reading this post and i feel like an ass for not sending kind words sooner. i hope things are looking brighter everyday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters