DC Cookie

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Freedom Trail

Can I get a shout out for Boston? That city is alright...

Remember when I said I could spend every day just hanging out with Dad? Well, the same is true for my mom and my sister. Mom and I flew to Boston from our separate corners of the country this weekend to be Lil Sis' objects for show-and-tell in her MBA classes. I wore a 'Harvard Mom' sweatshirt for encouragement. Lil Sis received a standing ovation from the class no fewer than three times during our visit. She's just so wicked smaaaht (okay, it was planned, but she's still wicked smaaaht).

Prior to our show-and-tell debut, we spent the weekend doing so much walking that my feet went numb. I heart my family!

948972375305_0_BG
After a full year in Boston, Lil Sis still refers to her 'Boston for Dummies' guide.

480103375305_0_ALB
What any sane person does prior to a multiple hour city walking tour...buys 5 pairs of shoes to lug around.

653282375305_0_BG
I agree with taxless tea, but did you really have to dump it in the harbour to make your point?

886992375305_0_BG
Me and my nice ass.

370303375305_0_ALB
They wouldn't let me in to the Capital. They must know I'm Canadian.

972203375305_0_BG
Boston Common

And that's all you get. Because I yawn when people do a play by play of their weekend (unless they are incredibly gifted and humourous), and I've already bored you enough.

570103375305_0_BG
Brunch for 85, please. We're hungry.

15 Comments:

  • At May 02, 2006 12:51 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    We're off to Boston for our daughter's graduation from Tufts later this month. I LOVE that city! You sense the difference between the south and the northeast when you go to Boston -- and it's more than the way they pronounce their R's!

     
  • At May 02, 2006 2:42 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    Sigh - with all due respect, and this goes for all women reading this because you are all guilty and you know it...are the shoes at Nine West that different in Boston than they are in DC that you must immediately purchase 5 pairs upon arrival?

     
  • At May 02, 2006 3:50 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    VK is right...about most women. Although this Cookie doesn't care whether they came from Nine West or Payless. For me, it's more of a "finding the time to shop for shoes" issue. I had the time then, so I did.

     
  • At May 02, 2006 4:12 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Beautiful cookies, every one.

     
  • At May 02, 2006 4:18 PM, Blogger GwenMarieDC said…

    Plus, what if you had waited to buy the shoes at your local Nine West and they were out of that style and/or your size?! Then you kick yourself (wearing beat shoes) and everyone has a cry.

    Hope to see you at the gym tonight!

     
  • At May 02, 2006 4:35 PM, Blogger Tyler said…

    Looks and sounds like a fun weekend!!

     
  • At May 02, 2006 4:44 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    I will buy Virgile's explanation, but I will not buy your "just finding time to buy shoes" excuse.

    Admit that it is more exotic to women to purchase expensive swag in another city. You know the joke when you're on vacation and eating out in multiple fancy restaurants "I'm on vacation, so the calories don't count"? I am convinced that women believe that money doesn't count either. Your "payless/nine west" correlation convinces me. I do believe you that you truly don't care, but I also believe your mind has some sort of "blocking" mechanism when they are in another city that refuses to discriminate between the two. It is ingrained in all women.

    Admit it, Cookie!

     
  • At May 02, 2006 6:05 PM, Blogger The Rev said…

    I know Boston extremely well. It is my second home.

    And if there is one thing about Boston I know, it is that just being in the city immediately makes you want to buy stuff. It's something in the air.

    I know that whenever I visit Boston, I immediately need to purchase 5 pu-pu platters at the Kowloon restaurant. It will happen.

    I suspect that the shoe buying incident is similar. It is not necessarily a woman thing happening. It is the Boston air. It makes you spend more money.

     
  • At May 02, 2006 10:44 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    Awww too cute! Boston is def somewhere I want to visit...

     
  • At May 02, 2006 10:45 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    BTW - Phil & VK are totally right.

    "Oh, I bought them in Boston!" (nevermind the Nine West)

     
  • At May 03, 2006 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Black tuxedo shoes
    Black work/suit shoes
    work boots
    black & brown casual shoes
    black and brown cowboy boots
    running shoes
    flip-flops

    What more does one need?

     
  • At May 03, 2006 8:42 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    I LOVE BOSTON. and i once loved a girl from boston. i miss that town.

     
  • At May 04, 2006 12:42 AM, Blogger flashpoint said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At May 04, 2006 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is it me, or is that ass placed oddly? I mean, behind a fence, off the side... and outside of a Ruth's Chris?

     
  • At May 04, 2006 5:28 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Even weirder that the Ruth's Chris is located within the confines of a historical building (the Old Courthouse, I believe).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters