DC Cookie

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Enough?

At a barbecue at our house for Mothers' Day in LA on Sunday, as I sat on the patio drinking a glass of viognier with the mother-of-honour (mine) and a few friends of the family, the conversation went from "Hey Mrs. Cookie, did you paint the living room recently?" to "Yeah, we did it after the Christmas holidays" to "Hey Cookie, remember when you had all those Christmas decoration pictures all over your blog? Are you still writing your blog?" to "What's a blog?" to "Um, that wasn't common knowledge among my family until...right now" to awkward silence.

Thankfully, Mom didn't ask how to find this blog. She was disturbed enough to know that I have a myspace profile. As entertaining as I can be at times, and as sentimental as I am about my family (she would love my ooey-gooey 'I love my sister' posts), I still maintain that there are things about me she would rather just...avoid?

At any rate, I lay awake for quite a while that night wondering if it's time to call it quits. Do I really want my Mom to read about my drunken antics one day when her curiosity gets the best of her? Would she laugh with me, or would she be embarrassed? The latter would be difficult to stomach, because I love to make her proud. Or worse, what about my co-workers? There are so many of them (at all levels in the firm) that know about my hobby, and check in from time to time. My colleagues appreciate my extra curricular lifestyle and embrace my social personality, but I certainly don't want there to be any misperceptions about my work ethic based on what I write. And what about boyfriends, acquaintances, friends, strangers? Is this DC Cookie image a burden that I really want to continue to carry?

The temporary answer is contained in the picture below...

Jess, Erica, Pushups

Now shut up already about this confederate flag guitar or I might really stop posting...

14 Comments:

  • At May 16, 2006 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To be honest I can see many reasons why you should stop posting. However, I'd like to know your opinion about the flag because you did make the write the post but really haven't responded. A non-response can be taken the wrong way by many. Plus, I think the issue is deserving of a good quote from the original poster.

    I know you are not really that wrapped up in stuff like this, however, this is a good opporunity to step beyond a funny and intruging posts on ranging from drunkenss to #of sex partners. This is a good opportunity to show what you stand for. I say go for it.

     
  • At May 16, 2006 3:32 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Agreed. Trust me, a response is in the works. Might require a day or two to put together. I just got back from vacation to find this mess of comments on what I thought was a totally harmless post. I need a moment to digest before responding.

     
  • At May 16, 2006 3:39 PM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said…

    Don't even contemplate it Cookie. You're not allowed to quit your blog. Screw coworkers. It is none of their business what you do outside of that building. If you are productive at work, then hey, it just shows how awesome you are that you can drink and party and still be a productive member of society.

    As for your mom...don't forget she was young once. I can't imagine I'd ever do as many crazy ass things as my mother probably did.

     
  • At May 16, 2006 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope you don't, but do what's best for you. It's your life afterall.

     
  • At May 16, 2006 3:56 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    sooo.... who won the push up contest?

     
  • At May 16, 2006 4:19 PM, Blogger Jeff Simmermon said…

    I don't think you should stop posting, necessarily. But I know you're capable of doing more than drinking and blogging about it... you wouldn't have been so interesting to talk to at that happy hour if there wasn't.

    This is a perfect chance for you to get out from behind your party mask and start writing for real.

     
  • At May 16, 2006 4:23 PM, Blogger Jinxy said…

    You know who else is going to stop posting?

    Oprah.

     
  • At May 16, 2006 4:31 PM, Blogger Jinxy said…

    P.S. In all seriousness, you want a those asking for a response to the picture of DAC and his Confederate Battle Flag guitar?

    Here would be mine.

    RAWK:

    "Ain't about no hatred,
    Better raise a glass,
    It's a little about some rebels,
    But it ain't about the past,
    Ain't about no foolish pride, Ain't about no flag,
    Hate's the only thing that my truck would want to drag,
    You think I'm dumb,
    Maybe not too bright,
    You wonder how I sleep at night
    Proud of the glory,
    Stare down the shame,
    Duality of The Southern Thing."


    Drive-By Truckers

     
  • At May 16, 2006 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can't stop posting now. Did you know that El Guapo made you an honourary latina? Perhaps you should embellish your experiences like he does, or altogether fib the story, it doesn't really matter. What matters is the quality of the writing, and the creativity of your prose. Salutations de vancouver.

     
  • At May 16, 2006 8:15 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    My feeling is that if we couldn't write what comes up in our lives we would be paying big bucks to sit in a therapist's office and spill our guts. Don't you think your mother knows you well enough to read just about anything you have written and still see the good person that you are?

     
  • At May 17, 2006 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For what it's worth, my mother and my sister both have blogs of their own, and I only rarely censor my content, mostly because both of them can be as salty as sailors when they want to be. :)

    You're a grown woman, a professional, and free to live your life as you wish it. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though I might give some thought to the whole David Allen Coe thing. :)

     
  • At May 17, 2006 7:36 PM, Blogger La'Tina said…

    You can just post pics and let commentors write the rest, wait you did that with the flag thing, uhhh, maybe not!!!

    Who will I click onto first thing in the morning???

     
  • At May 18, 2006 10:22 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    :-)

     
  • At May 22, 2006 2:39 PM, Blogger Beakerz said…

    wait wait wait. Are you two in a push-up contest in dresses?

    Oh man....Why aren't more wedding and such, like This!?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters