DC Cookie

Monday, April 17, 2006

Jekyll and Hyde

IMG_0579
The Arlington girls get ready for the fun to start.

If it isn't already clear from my posts, I like to socialize (socialize being, of course, a euphemism for spending the equivalent of a mortgage payment for excessive drinking, dancing, food, flirting and photography).

IMG_0541
Birthday present.

This weekend was no exception, as I rallied from Thursday to Sunday to celebrate the birthday of a very special friend. Her present was bottle service and a lap dance.

Bik, Jess, Wanksta
Cookie sandwich.

IMG_0581
Tug-o-Cookie

But as I curled up in bed on Saturday night after the newspapers had already been delivered, black eyeliner smudged on my cheek, a crumpled $1 bill and a credit card receipt the only money left in my pocket, hair reeking so badly of dry ice and cigarettes that I probably ruined the pillow case, the remorse began to settle in.

This is the girl who, at 13 years old, told her parents she would never drink alcohol - that it tasted bad and encouraged people to behave like morons. This is the girl who spent hours at church youth group and who entertained the notion of one day becoming a minister (just like her grandfather). This is the girl who dreamed of having a husband and 3 kids by the time she turned 30. Interesting how our choices and our environment can alter our intended plans so drastically.

Now, just because I'm a regular fixture at several evening-activity venues and spend quite a few hours a week on the dance floor with a vodka tonic in hand, doesn't mean that I'm not still the same kind-hearted, warm, shy, family-oriented girl I was growing up. What I fear though, are the mis-perceptions that are associated with being so vibrantly social. In the eyes of a man, does the party girl outrival the 'bring this one home to my mom?' Does the fun conceal the serious? Does the external sexy obfuscate the internal beauty?

And after a weekend like the one I just had, the latter half spends the better part of her Sunday afternoons kicking the former half for hoarding all the press.

9 Comments:

  • At April 17, 2006 4:17 PM, Blogger Roar Savage said…

    Omigosh, VK!

    Cookie, I know what you mean. But no man could ever underestimate the value of a woman who uses the word 'obfuscate' in sentences, dancing and drunk or not.

    Mwah!

     
  • At April 17, 2006 4:26 PM, Blogger VP of Dior said…

    yes, it is an inner-tug-o-war. but cookie, i must go out with you soon to learn the ways of the Cookster before any possible retirement on your behalf ;)

     
  • At April 17, 2006 4:52 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    saWEET, and she even straightened her hair for the occasion...

    I'm afraid I am not familiar with this non-partying Cookie.

     
  • At April 17, 2006 4:56 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    Yeah she straightened her hair for me and I missed it haha.

     
  • At April 17, 2006 5:02 PM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said…

    Honey you are young and only get one life. And you can spent plenty of your older years on the couch with a husband. I think the idea that we finish college at 22 and are expected to be settled at all before 30 is just plain mean since you're going to live settled for another four or five decades. Screw that. Drink, party, have a good time. As long as you are responsible and are having fun, don't put limitations or stupid expectations in front of you.

     
  • At April 17, 2006 5:21 PM, Blogger roosh said…

    panache again?! ugh

     
  • At April 18, 2006 12:58 AM, Blogger O-FACE said…

    Better get it out of your system now, before you become a mother. You'll regret the day you stopped.... Keep on Keeping on!!!

    Measuring your gluteus maximus from the pics,,, nice.... I feel like a myspace stalker now......

     
  • At April 18, 2006 3:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, no one said this mission work was easy! It's hard work! You need to be where the sinners are to show them a better example. And it's working all the time too. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

     
  • At April 18, 2006 5:08 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    Fortunately you don't have to opt for one or the other. 30 is still very young. Believe me, you will be happy that you waited to have children, because they change your life forever. Just follow your heart for now and I don't think you will go wrong!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters