DC Cookie

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Dangerous Vacation

Where is the scariest place you've ever travelled? Sadly for me, I'd have to go with Northeast DC. All of the exotic places I've vacationed have been just that - exotic. Dublin, Zurich, Geneva, Vancouver, Tahoe, Cabo San Lucas, Miami, Puerto Vallarta...

I've often given my family reasons to fret, but at least my choices for vacation destinations have left their hearts intact. When Lil Sis decided to travel by herself to Guatamala to meet some friends over the new year, Mom feigned an emotional TSI when she heard the news. You're going where? Why?! Thankfully, El Guapo's writing placated her.

Sis and volcano
Lil Sis poses in front of the volcano she is getting ready to climb.

steep2
Lil Sis snaps a shot of the steep, rugged terrain.

Sis and guide
Lil Sis at the peak with her Guatamalan guide.

sis on steep trail
Lil Sis descending.

toasting volcano
Con una cerveza, Lil Sis toasts the volcano she just conquered.

Lil Sis came back from her adventure giddy as a bumble bee. When she announced to the family that her spring break was going to be spent in Colombia, one can only imagine the virtual cardiac arrest that Mom experienced. She called me in a hyperventilating tizzy saying, "YOU used to be the one we always had to worry about...but now it's your sister. Please call and talk some sense into her. She could get killed!" Granted, I'm sure there are parts of South America that can be menacing if you're not properly educated or prepared (which I'm sure are the only parts a mother can think about when her child leaves the nest); but the cultural edification from such a voyage is invaluable. Ask DCB. Besides, Lil Sis wasn't going to Colombia solo to wander the barrios. She was going with 40 students on a tour that was intricately planned by a fellow Colombian classmate. There was never a moment's doubt in my mind that she would return home safely.

LilSis with kids
Lil Sis shares digital images with local Colombian children.

v76550nviscdlr
Lil Sis and some friends dance at a Colombian restaurant.

It's probably a good thing that, in my conversation to Mom, I didn't divulge Lil Sis' other top destination ideas. Let's just say Colombia was the safest.

Lil Sis was born to do far greater things than most rational people could ever comprehend. And when I saw her pictures, I was envious that I hadn't been able to tag along.

10 Comments:

  • At April 06, 2006 9:46 AM, Blogger I-66 said…

    Northeast? I'm going with anything over the Anacostia at night... or even under light of day

     
  • At April 06, 2006 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Northeast DC? Really? That's where I live. It's not the safest place in town, but I'd hardly call it scary.

    You know Union Station is in NE, right?

     
  • At April 06, 2006 10:14 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    My mom always says that, if BOTH her daughters are doing well, happy, and not causing her grief at the same time, she'll have to die on the spot. Because it will never happen again.

     
  • At April 06, 2006 10:22 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Jamy - was just being facetious - I've never truly been anywhere dangerous.

     
  • At April 06, 2006 10:46 AM, Blogger Miss Scarlet said…

    Those pics are gorgoues! The volcano looks amazing.

     
  • At April 06, 2006 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wherever Cookie drives is a dangerous place. Unfortunately, it's dangerous to others...

    I've seen it in person! ;)

     
  • At April 06, 2006 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amazing photos!

    I thought the most dangerous place I have ever been would be in Morocco, but it turned out to be so incredible...so I'll have to think on that. Probably Gary, Indiana.

     
  • At April 06, 2006 3:51 PM, Blogger El Guapo in DC said…

    That guide is my cousin. He STILL owes me money.

    El Guapo

     
  • At April 07, 2006 5:53 AM, Blogger tommy said…

    Newark NJ, makes Anacostia look like Disneyland

    But Nogales Mexico scare the shit out of me. I thought the Federales were gonna shoot my ass

     
  • At April 07, 2006 9:11 AM, Blogger Sharkbait said…

    She looks like she's having a blast. Good for her! Not everybody has the ability or the want to do such things.

    She will be very glad she did them and has the awesome stories and pics to go along.

    I am jealous!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters