DC Cookie

Thursday, March 23, 2006

When We Like You

There are things that women do when we like a guy. Things that most of us will likely never admit; because we fear that the object of our affections will presume we're crazy. Well, guess what. We are. We're over-analytical, pensive, dreamy, demanding, sensitive, quirky little creatures, and I, for one, am not ashamed to wear that skin with pride. So, what kind of things am I talking about?

Well, there's the requisite "what does my first name sound like with his last name?," cursive-writing in a notebook to practice our future signature, ga-ga foolishness we pull immediately following date number one. Cookie Fellow. Yep, he's perfect for me. Not to mention the thoughts that run through our head when we see the first kiddie picture of our crush. We're always thinking about the future. Enough said.

We absolutely adore attention. When our heart's desire is too busy to give it to us, we search for it via other means (::pulls mind from gutter::). Hence why we rarely delete a sweet voicemail message or an endearing e-mail. Like the message that is currently housed in a safe place for the next 30 days on my cell phone that says, "Hey, it's Charming Fellow. I'm just getting the tires rotated on my car and I was bored, so I thought I'd call." Swoon! I've listened to it five times.

We like spending quality time with our men of choice. And for some reason, we require that time to be fully and completely documented. We have a box full of letters, cards, concert tickets, bowling scores, movie stubs, dried flowers, the label he peeled from his beer bottle on our third date... That, and we cuddle up with that t-shirt he left behind at our house, in an effort to cling to his special, lingering man-scent just a little bit longer.

And last of all, we think our beau is handsome, which means lots of photos. Pictures on our nightstand, pictures on our computer, pictures on our cell phones, pictures on our blogs. All of which are ogled, stared at and admired on the daily; even moreso than pictures of ourselves (and that's saying a hell of a lot coming from this narcissist).

The good news is, this overdose of crushing helps keep our creative and romantic juices flowing fresh. Trust me, when the honeymoon is over, he'll thank his lucky stars that we still find ways to surprise him.

19 Comments:

  • At March 22, 2006 7:30 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    heh. someday, someone will do those for me? really? women are whackaloons. but we love em. so who's nuttier? the nut, or the person who loves the nut? sorry, this comment isn't making much sense. so i'll stop now.

     
  • At March 22, 2006 8:28 PM, Blogger Jessamyn said…

    sigh - it's so true.

    i have the box filled with random things that mean nothing to anyone but me. like a 4 year old animal cracker with blood on it (don't ask) and a styrofoam cup from the BlackDog in Martha's vinyard. i have a peice of ripped sleeve left over from our "tear your shirt off during sex literally" days.

    ah memories.

     
  • At March 22, 2006 11:02 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    I'll bet you open his e-mails first and save them all in a folder labeled "Charming Fellow."

     
  • At March 23, 2006 12:20 AM, Blogger VP of Dior said…

    i have an envelope that i keep in the pillow case on my bed. it's filled with all the greeting cards, movie stubs, concert tickets, etc. that inhabit my memories with him. so when i roll over to the "cool" side of the pillow and wonder why there is a piece of laffy taffy under my cheek, i know it's all worth it:)

     
  • At March 23, 2006 3:09 AM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    i love that you ladies are amitting to this. i have assumed much of this for a while. and i ms confess, we men, sometimes have the same attributes. i for one have a voice mail saved from a chudette that i listen to whenever i check my voice mail. and i even have some text messages saved. we're not anywhere near serious yet... but hopefully... then i can stop saving this shit.

     
  • At March 23, 2006 9:22 AM, Blogger GwenMarieDC said…

    It's healthy to admit our behavior is natural and we all do it. Now to just find someone like Cookie, Jessa or VP's man to swoon over myself. HEART

     
  • At March 23, 2006 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So true. I used to exhibit all of those behaviours, now I'm down to just a few. I used to have the box, etc. But now that I'm actually in a great relationship that is working out with a future planned, I don't save everything anymore. We save ticket stubs from movies, concerts, cards etc, but I don't save everything anymore. I think I used to save everything because I didn't feel secure and think more would come. But now I know more is coming, and I can let go of the now and look forward to the 'us'. If that makes sense.

     
  • At March 23, 2006 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *barf* ;)

     
  • At March 23, 2006 10:45 AM, Blogger Johnny said…

    haha, youre 3 credits short of a phD in stalkerdom.

    youre just lucky the boi is receptive to it all.

    teehee!

     
  • At March 23, 2006 12:59 PM, Blogger Lucy said…

    I'll admit it; I rarely (if ever) delete one of the emails from my man, and I definitely have all the early ones saved. The super special ones are starred in gmail. :)

     
  • At March 23, 2006 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yes, I forget, I do save the voice mails, and emails too!

     
  • At March 23, 2006 4:49 PM, Blogger KassyK said…

    Virgil-A HAIR doll. MUAHAHAHAHHAA.

     
  • At March 23, 2006 5:16 PM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said…

    The worst is when you save all that stuff, and then months after your relationship goes down the shitter, you find it. Ugh. Not that that will happen to you - I've seen the rack (well clothed in pictures at least) and Charming Fellow is going nowhere.

    I sadly still have emails from my first serious boyfriend that are hiding out in my folders in hotmail (an account I no longer use). Several thousand emails. Going back 7 years. *FREAK*

     
  • At March 23, 2006 6:03 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said…

    I love to save all that stuff. It's nice to go back and look at all those artifacts to remind yourself about all the fun little things you used to do (and to encourage you to start to do it again).

    I still have a few trinkets from old boyfriends, too, but those are boxed somewhere far away. :)

     
  • At March 24, 2006 6:39 AM, Blogger tommy said…

    When a man likes a woman. He might acknowledge her in public among his friends.

    Hey ! we're tryin

     
  • At March 24, 2006 9:40 AM, Blogger Ashburnite said…

    wow...Ok, now I don't feel like a crazy woman for doing all of those things. I thought I was the only one who keeps a label peeled off a beer bottle from a date....nice to know I'm not alone.

     
  • At March 24, 2006 10:17 AM, Blogger cs said…

    I used to save these things until I realized they were just bitter reminders of how empty and desolate my life had become. So I burned them all, packed the family in a used RV and now we praise the Lord with music and song at every truckstop along I-80.

     
  • At March 24, 2006 10:53 AM, Blogger Beakerz said…

    You wear that on your sleeve, girl!

    Trust me, most guys are so inept, that without coming right out and telling him or kissing him, he'd have no idea.

    You can flirt and touch his arm, etc and the guy will Still wonder "Does she like me?"

    btw, I think some guys (me) have evolved past acknowledging in public, not to toot my own horn (i'll save that for private time).

    The honeymoon part is right on the money though, Cookie. Some guys even play that part =)

     
  • At March 27, 2006 3:17 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    "When We Like You, We Get Really Bad About Blogging Regularly."

    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters