DC Cookie

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Skillz Part Deux

DCB's post today reminded me that I have some very random abilities that I picked up as I dabbled in every possible activity growing up. I know just about all the words to the musical 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat.' Why? Because I was part of the church production of the musical when I was 10, and I've just never forgotten it. But that skill is simple memorization; certainly not a jaw-dropper. So I started thinking. What exactly IS my most impressive talent? Quickest su-do-ku puzzle solver? Nah. Funniest Canadian? Too subjective.

Well, following much deliberation, the vote was unanimous (which it would be...there was only one voter). I have one skill that nobody else I know has, thus making it my most awe-inspiring ability. In grade 8 I was a championship jump roper who went school-to-school to perform. I can still do most of my tricks (I say 'most' only because it has not been confirmed in many years whether I can still do a cartwheel into double dutch ropes). Maybe I'll even bring a jump rope to the next happy hour. Impressed?

Almost as cool as knowing how to curl (sadly, I've only ever been a spectator of that skill)...

13 Comments:

  • At March 02, 2006 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    'Jacob - Jacob and Sons...'

    Wow, I was in that play too, brought back some lyrics...thanks!

     
  • At March 02, 2006 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike Myers is clearly the funniest Canadian.

    It would be interesting to see you jump rope now. You might end up with black eyes.

     
  • At March 02, 2006 12:52 PM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    Now you must impress us with your mad skillz.

    Jump rope skills are right up their with nun chuck skills.

     
  • At March 02, 2006 1:02 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Wiz - I had boobs in grade 8 too...

     
  • At March 02, 2006 1:02 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    I have a "or/our" question here...

    I don't dispute this by any means - I'm jut curious as to how it works for a Canadian.

    In the case where something is titled a specific way, in this case "Joseph And The Technicolor Dreamcoat", does it not stand to reason that the word "technicolor" - more specifically "color" - should not be edited to include the letter u as it is no longer colloquial but instead a proper title?

     
  • At March 02, 2006 1:02 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    I absolutely LOVE Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat! But I am most impressed with your jump-roping ability. Do bring your jump-rope to the next happy hour!

     
  • At March 02, 2006 1:15 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    i-66, you are correct with your observation. A formal title for a work of art should be spelled exactly as named.

    However, for this particular musical, I take issue with the title. Tim Rice (lyricist) and Andrew Lloyd Webber (composer) are both Brits, and therefore MUST have been coerced by the theater mafia into using the American spelling. So, in this one case, I'm rebelling against grammatical correctness in defense of my British U-using allies.

     
  • At March 02, 2006 2:26 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    OR "technicolor," being an American term about the TV once it switched over from B&W, could be spelled that way no matter where or by whom, due to its origin?

    NERD ALERT

    BTdubs, I didn't understand what Wiz meant until you commented back. Black eyes? Boobs? Ooooooh....

     
  • At March 02, 2006 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Out of curiosity -

    Do you actively try to write/speak Canadian English? Putting that extra 'u' in color, flavor, etc....and calling 8th Grade - Grade 8??...................

    Or is in ingrained in you, something you can't lose even though you seem to have lived/been schooled/worked in the US for quite some time?

    What do you Canadians call the city where the Winter Olympics took place? Turin or Torino?

     
  • At March 02, 2006 3:04 PM, Blogger Drunken Chud said…

    i wish i had jump rope skills. i do know i have a severe lack of hula hoop skills. i have never been able to hula. damn thing. huh, i think i just proved i have no skills. w00t! as for jo jo jo joseph... well, i'd have to agree that technicolor itself being a proper noun shouldn't have a u in it. but, really... does it matter? can't we all just get along? meh.

     
  • At March 02, 2006 3:07 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Anon - I suspect we'd call it Tourino. ;-)

     
  • At March 02, 2006 4:15 PM, Blogger Lucy said…

    I have mad pinchy-toe skills. I can seriously injure someone with my uber-strong feet.

     
  • At March 03, 2006 10:59 AM, Blogger Namaste said…

    She really can jump rope like a 13 year old champion.

    I seen it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters