DC Cookie

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sober Sister

For circumstances within my control, I decided to play sober sister this weekend. Perhaps as a favour to friends who needed a chauffeuse, perhaps as a foreshadowing to the month of sobriety I'll be forced into if I don't win the challenge I made with myself, or perhaps for other reasons. Regardless, sometimes the body just needs a break.

IMG_0150
Please note, in my hand is a pretzel, not a martini.

What surprises me as I sit here writing is the amount of clarity that comes from a weekend when party-girl-101 stays home and sends her bookish twin out in her place. Her twin is quieter, but more thoughtful with her choice of words. Her twin wakes up in the morning and remembers verbatim why she had so much to smile about. Her twin plays alligators and lions with buttery-sweet toddlers without requiring ibuprofen.

Yano babies and Jess

I'm great at being the life of a lackluster party, or clambering to the center of a raucous one. I honed those skills my third year of college (the same year I learned that writing french papers and drinking Private Stock did not have to be mutually exclusive events). 90% of my acquaintances are drawn to the ebullient energy I carry with me to the nightclubs. My perpetual happiness is addictive. However, what is not obvious when you first meet me is that my happiest moments are never floating at the bottom of a bottle of pinot. Intoxication is entertaining, but fleeting, just like the memories attached to it.

When my friend's cherubic two-year-old burst into uproarious laughter over my impression of an orangutan this weekend, I knew that was a memory that was actually worth holding on to.

17 Comments:

  • At February 21, 2006 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very cryptic foreshadowing here Cookie. But all the best with the new style & resolve. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

     
  • At February 21, 2006 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd like to see the orangutan imitation. Is it anything like Namaste's monkey noises?

     
  • At February 21, 2006 9:11 AM, Blogger Namaste said…

    my favorites:

    "the same year I learned that writing french papers and drinking Private Stock did not have to be mutually exclusive events...."

    (although mind eraser shots at Coops later in the evening always helped when the front porch tummy-tossing competition)

    impressions of an orangutan, indeed!

    (too bad I couldn't be there to play the monkey!)

    ;)

     
  • At February 21, 2006 10:03 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I love hanging out with you sober or intoxicated... but I was v.v. grateful for sober sister chauffeuse-ing on Sunday. Thanks, love!!

     
  • At February 21, 2006 10:11 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Wiz - my friend took a video. Perhaps when I get a copy, I'll be generous enough to share. I also did a snake, alligator, lion, horse and kangaroo.

     
  • At February 21, 2006 10:15 AM, Blogger cs said…

    Oh no Cookie...it sounds like a change in perspective is coming your way. Your drinking friends may have to stage an intervention.

     
  • At February 21, 2006 10:23 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Not giving up the sauce. I like wine too much. Just saying that those lucky few who spend more time with me outside of the bars represent the circle of trust who know me at my most content.

     
  • At February 21, 2006 10:51 AM, Blogger Sparklebot said…

    Nothing makes me happier than being completely silly and making my nephew laugh. Kids are precious, but I'm glad they go home with someone else at the end of the night.

     
  • At February 21, 2006 12:21 PM, Blogger VP of Dior said…

    i might consider giving up drinking for those cute faces.

     
  • At February 21, 2006 3:05 PM, Blogger O-FACE said…

    Lifes hard.

    Its even more F-ing harder being sober.

    But, I'll pour some extra vodka in my glass tonite, too celebrate in honor of you, hell I might even pour a drop or two on the sidewalk like a real loser.

     
  • At February 21, 2006 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with VP! They are adorable, glad you had fun!

     
  • At February 21, 2006 8:12 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    There are two kinds of animal imitations.

    1) The kind you do for children in return for uproarious laughter.

    2) The kind you do when you're drunk in return for uproarious laughter.

    Wayne would often imitate a jungle cat in a tree when he was sauced. Quite a funny site, but not so cute to the wee ones who may be passing by.

     
  • At February 21, 2006 8:39 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    Groundwork being laid for Cookie as Mommy Beyond Belief...and what cute kids to practice on.

     
  • At February 21, 2006 8:54 PM, Blogger kob said…

    Cookie, excellent photo of you.

     
  • At February 23, 2006 10:21 AM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    90% of the time when I go out I AM the sober one. Can you believe it? I'm bubbly and crazy all on my own. ;)

     
  • At February 27, 2006 10:41 PM, Blogger G-A-K said…

    "When my friend's cherubic two-year-old burst into uproarious laughter over my impression of an orangutan this weekend, I knew that was a memory that was actually worth holding on to."

    As the father of a two year old, I smiled knowing how that laughter of a little one just makes your day. (they can also drive you nuts, too!)

     
  • At March 15, 2006 1:29 PM, Blogger dcgrrl said…

    Cheers to you! from a fellow party girl in our nation's capitol, it's good to remind ourselves sometimes that we drink because we're fun, we're not fun because we drink!

    -DC Grrl

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters