DC Cookie

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I Can Never Stay Mad

I had a long conversation with my ex-boyfriend one week after we broke up. Our actual break-up had been a blow-out, kicking, shoving, top-of-our-lungs screaming match, so I figured having that conversation was a more dignified way to end our tumultuous love affair. He was adamant at the time that he didn't want it to be over; that he couldn't live without me. I was adamant that we weren't ourselves when we were around each other (can you even fathom the idea of me having a fight with anyone?), and we needed to move on. I was tired of pretending to believe him (see number one on this list). It was time. We made each other miserable.

That conversation occurred over a year ago. I haven't seen him or heard his voice since. Following our official goodbye, I cut ties. Besides sending him an e-card on his birthday, I never attempted to contact him. He'd write me every couple of months trying to find out how I was; I can only assume in an attempt to re-establish a position of importance in my life. My replies were always caustic - if I even replied at all. I didn't WANT to hear from him, so I discouraged all forms of communication.

But today, when I received the requisite "hey, how are you" e-mail from him, I no longer felt the urge to holler "leave me alone, you douchebag!" My anger has finally subsided. My frustrations have become abstract and inconsequential. My utter lack of respect for him as a human being has morphed into indifference. Time apparently does heal all wounds. I found myself, for the first time in over a year, almost glad he reached out again. Not because I want to be his friend; something I believe is very difficult to do when you've loved, sacrificed for, and battled with a person that intimately. But because letting go of my resentment is a far greater closure than any break-up conversation could ever provide, no matter how civil.

Thanks for the apologies, and sorry for the number of times I've referred to you as a douchebag. Maybe karma isn't such a bitch after all.

15 Comments:

  • At February 28, 2006 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a good place to wind up Cookie, after all the drama. The opposite of love is not quite hate, it IS indifference. As in : 'You no longer matter all that much for me to take much of an interest'. This can be maddening for those on the receiving end, but hopefully if they've got any brains at all they'll take it as a good sign to move on. But of course if they had any brains worth much they'd still be with you, so I'd still be wary of this character.

    And yeah, fighting seems not only out of character, but is usually inimical to any intimate loving relationship. Glad you're in a better place today. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

     
  • At February 28, 2006 8:36 AM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Good for you! Having recently come to the same place myself, I can appreciate how great it feels. (And how frustrating it was that it took that long.)

     
  • At February 28, 2006 9:27 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    You know the healing is really complete when you've gotten over the urge to call someone a douchebag.

     
  • At February 28, 2006 9:32 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    You often won't even tell someone they hurt your feelings. You just deal with it. That you could be yelling and shoving... oh, Cookie. Makes me shudder.

    Can I still think he's a douchebag? :) You know you feel that way about some of my exes...

    But in all seriousness, it is a great feeling when you realize all that pain and anger has evaporated, and you just feel nothing. It's so liberating.

     
  • At February 28, 2006 10:05 AM, Blogger Namaste said…

    mmmm. karma is a bitch. and unforunately, he'll still have it coming for quite some time.

    but closure is a good thing, too!

     
  • At February 28, 2006 10:42 AM, Blogger Phil said…

    I suspect, however, his emails are less about being your friend, and more about finding out if you are still interested in him as you intimate in your post.

    I know that doesn't have much do with the point of your post (getting past the anger/hurt)- just my $0.02.

     
  • At February 28, 2006 11:20 AM, Blogger Barbara said…

    Time heals a lot of wounds. You some day realize that even the douchebags added something to your life.

     
  • At February 28, 2006 11:33 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Phil, you are absolutely correct. His e-mails are definitely inquiry-related...strokes a man's ego to know his ex still thinks about him. I tried my best not to offer that satisfaction, especially at the beginning of my healing period.

    However, he's had a girlfriend for the last year (since about three weeks after we broke up), so he's certainly not attempting to rekindle (at least, I hope not, for her sake). How is THAT for 'can't live without me?' Again, the empty words that fueled my anger.

     
  • At February 28, 2006 12:08 PM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said…

    I can really feel you on the impossibility of being a real friend with someone who you knew on such an intimate level. When the ex dumped me, he mentioned that he wanted to be friends. I could not for the life of me understand how he could see me that way. I knew then as much as I know now that he would never just be a friend to me. It amazed me that he thought he could ever just see me that way. It hurt as well.

    The cutting a person out of your life has been the most challenging part for me for much of the same reasons. He's not just a friend. He's someone I cared about so intimately and spend nearly every day of two years with. To have to eliminate that person from your life is so excruciating. But is often times for the best. You're a strong one Miss Cookie.

     
  • At February 28, 2006 1:10 PM, Blogger tommy said…

    I agree with VJ. Love and Hate (anger) are 2 very I powerful emotions and at times almost indistinguishable. You touched on an important point, the opposite of love is indifference and apathy. You've moved on emotinally Cookie, that's why it easy for you to open the lines of communication with your ex. You likely loved him very much when you avoided his contacts (a very smart move). Congratulations Cookies. If you can't be yourself in a relationship, then why pursue it?

     
  • At February 28, 2006 1:52 PM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    When I grow up, I want to be as mature as you are.

     
  • At February 28, 2006 3:20 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Not sure I'd consider a 'kicking and screaming' break-up particularly mature... Good news is, that type of situation will never occur in my life again. Amazing the things we learn...

     
  • At February 28, 2006 7:57 PM, Blogger O-FACE said…

    I do stuff like that to my exes. Just for the ego bj. I just like knowing that I made them think about me for a few minutes that day.

     
  • At March 02, 2006 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Isn't that such a great feeling - letting go of all the anger towards someone. Not talking to someone because you don't want anything with them takes up way more energy than finally being over them. I went through that too, it's such a great relief, and now you actually have power over the situation, you know, instead of your feelings having power over you. Does that make sense? I've had a migraine the past two days, so it's quite possible I don't make sense...

     
  • At January 28, 2008 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That really helped. :) It gives me hope that day will come in my life too, when I'm indifferent and not hurting. I feel its harder because I'm still in regular touch with my ex and we really care for each other. Spliting was a joint decision because our desires from life were different.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters