DC Cookie

Monday, February 13, 2006

Boston Is A 6-Hour Drive...

...or a 16 hour flight. I left to catch my flight at 5pm on Friday evening, and didn't arrive in Boston until 11am the next day. Late arrival of our plane, mechanical issues and lack of crew. I HEART United Airlines. Oh, and I'm still here. Snow. Reminds me of Canada. It was the perfect weekend to travel north (::oozes sarcasm::).

Alright, so I have a question for the women who are actually flattered by aggressive beau-hunks who violate their personal space at the club. But first, let me provide you with an extremely euphemistic description of an actual late-night encounter to set the stage. I am on the dance floor, surrounded by a gaggle of Lil Sis' grad student friends. A random man spots me, walks straight up to me, takes my left hand without asking, and begins to dance suggestively against me. I say "no thank you," while I put my free hand on his chest to politely decline his gyrations. He doesn't let go of my left hand despite the fact that I'm attempting to pull it away. I can't STAND that. It's just as bad as grabbing my wrist as I walk by; incredibly demeaning. He continues to pull me close to him, and I continue to back away saying, "thank you, but I'm dancing with my friends." He then leans in and says "I came over to invite you to an after party." I say, agitatedly, "no thank you." I finally succeed in tugging my hand out of his grip. He doesn't leave me alone until I blatantly move to a new spot. He then grabs the hand of one of Lil Sis' married classmates whose husband had just left to get her a drink. Shameless.

So my question is...exactly which women out there accept this kind of behaviour from a man? There has to be someone who encourages these types of advances; otherwise, you would think the man would 'get' that he's being painfully offensive and isn't likely to score.

This particular guy was just lucky that I grew up in Canada (passive-aggressive), or he would have been graced with a sweet shiner to nurse for the week.

20 Comments:

  • At February 13, 2006 11:00 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I DO NOT APPROVE OF HIS BEHAVIOR.

    I'd imagine he keeps that up because he eventually finds someone drunk enough not to know better than to reject him.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 11:01 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I mean not to be smart enough to reject him.

    Brain dead over here.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 11:19 AM, Blogger Roar Savage said…

    I've never punched anyone, but I have pushed someone really hard who was acting as you're describing. (Oklahoma=not so passive agressive). I think maybe these guys are just drunk, so they think they're being smooth and don't even notice they're being rejected. Sadness.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm gonna guess "drunk people."

     
  • At February 13, 2006 12:20 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    You know, I'm reading the awfully horrible book "The Game: The Secret Society of Pick Up Artists" and I think as I read it, "Who is dumb enough to fall for this crap?" But apparently a lot of girls. So, my take is that this approach has worked for this guy with other women.

    Anyway, the side book review is to not read this book for it's actual "game" but to recognize the behavior when you see it. I mean, come on. I don't need "game." I have Craigslist.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 12:43 PM, Blogger Stef said…

    I hate the aggressive dance floor moves. Somehow I'm always the one that they find a way to corner against the wall and start dancing "against" me. Thank goodness for good guy friends who swoop in for the save.... I can certainly handle it myself, but it does feel nice to be rescued. (Yes, I just watched that SATC rerun over the weekend. Love it.)

     
  • At February 13, 2006 12:48 PM, Blogger Namaste said…

    Umm...remember in Rapture when you grabbed my pants and I didn't know it was you, knocked your hand away and pulled back for the punch?

    Yeah...no one puts up with that sort of thing, and if they do, they are just as dumb as the animal aggressing them.

    Love ya, girl!

     
  • At February 13, 2006 1:10 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    It is no suprise why United is in such terrible financial shape.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 1:57 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    *VOMIT*

    If you want to pick me up don't grope me. Or force me.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 1:59 PM, Blogger Sparklebot said…

    Wait. I'm NOT supposed to let random, sweaty guys hump me just because they want to?

     
  • At February 13, 2006 2:23 PM, Blogger Jamy said…

    I don't think most woman are ok with such behavior, but they are even less ok with saying no--to anyone. Even in these modern times, women are trained to be nice and polite. It can make rejecting inappropriate advances more difficult.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 2:33 PM, Blogger La'Tina said…

    I once spit in a guys face because he just didn't get it. He got mad and wanted to fight, i took off my earrings and was ready, but then he realized even w/o my heels on I would have an advantage of knocking his ass down. He kept on groping and trying to talk to me and I had enough. I get upset in these situations like what do these men think!!!

     
  • At February 13, 2006 2:37 PM, Blogger Tyler said…

    As a guy, I am offended that other guys would disrespect a woman in that way. I can't understand it, but I guess my Mom brought me up with better manners than that.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 3:04 PM, Blogger Roar Savage said…

    thicky, that's so cool. Earings off, you were ready to throw down! awesome.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 4:07 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    Men fish until someone bites. Endless fun. On the other hand, I do love Boston.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 4:24 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    And for the record, Guv'na was once zapped with a taser/stun gun in a night club when we were youngsters, for repeatedly grabbing a girl's ass. (true)

     
  • At February 13, 2006 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So that's how you spell "beau-hunk!" I've been wondering ever since I first heard the phrase used by that great sage of my youth, Long-Duk Dong, in the movie "Sixteen Candles."

     
  • At February 13, 2006 11:08 PM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said…

    First of all, you needed to suck down your cocktail and then slam it over his big beefy head (don't throw it in his face, such a waste of liquor). Then you should have kneed him in his balls and kicked him while he was down with the pointy toe of your fierce ass pumps.

    I'm not passive aggressive.

    Disclaimer: If said beefy beau-hunk was hot, then ignore above statement, hike up your skirt and do a lil bump and grind right back to his flat in South Boston. (kidding - but damn I love a Boston man)

     
  • At February 14, 2006 1:03 AM, Blogger Mandy said…

    I have no idea why men do that, but I do think that drunk girls with low standards are the only demographic that might fall for that sad excuse for "game". After going to school in Boston and living in Long Island for a couple years, I've gotten pretty good at...dissuading such advances.

    But I agree with jamy - women are still trained to be "nice", and it's just not considered nice to knee someone in the balls, even if he considers it perfectly acceptable to paw you like a learning-impaired gorilla.

     
  • At February 14, 2006 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Hell No! That sounds like the SNL skit of 'Two Wild and Crazy Guys', but worse! Neither I, nor any of my friends would tolerate this! That's way too pushy for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters