DC Cookie

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Barefoot In The Kitchen

Last night, as my every saporous desire was being satisfied by a pepper-rubbed filet, grilled asparagus and sauteed mushrooms with roma tomatoes, I concluded that I am not a feminist (despite my 'equality in the bedroom' and 'you-go-girl' style blog posts). I had not prepared the feast I was devouring, and a small part of me felt guilty about that. Granted, it WAS Valentine's Day, when men are commercially tasered into being romantic. With flushed cheeks, I graciously accepted Charming Fellow's gesture. In fact, I ate up [literally] every cheese-soaked minute of his doting (as most women would).

That role reversal, however, is something I know I would struggle with were it to be a regular occurrence. Here I am, a university-educated female consultant, hailing from an extremely liberal country, who also happens to subscribe to the fairytale ideals of the traditional female responsibilities in the household. I look forward to preparing the meals, separating the socks, scrubbing the bathtub, rinsing the dishes, preparing the budget, massaging tired feet, grocery shopping, buttoning the dress shirt collars that I've ironed...

I have often wondered if this conservative instinct is a sign of weakness. But after much internal debate, I have concluded quite the opposite. I'm a woman; which by virtual default, makes me a caregiver. I want to provide for the man in my life the way my mother provides for my father, and my grandmother provides for my grandfather. What I've discovered with age and wisdom is that my desire to nurture has yet to obstruct the weight of my intellect or the authority of my voice. One characteristic does not have to hold back another. I can work, play, delegate, support, debate, learn, speak, manage, love, comfort and protect; all with equal vigour.

Bring on the cookbook...

15 Comments:

  • At February 15, 2006 1:58 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    I feel the same way! I love to do all of that stuff, but I don't want it to be EXPECTED that I do it all. As long as I'm doing it because I want to, not because I'm supposed to, it's fine.

     
  • At February 15, 2006 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    add regular crazy monkey sex and you are the hope diamond in the feminist rough. I envy your man whoever he will be

     
  • At February 15, 2006 2:04 PM, Blogger Stef said…

    But I wouldn't say that you're not a feminist. Feminism doesn't dictate that every woman has to work and have a career and can't be at home in the home. It's all about making the choice, having the ability to make that choice in the first place. In my book, you can absolutely be a feminist and choose to become a domestic goddess. More power to ya!

     
  • At February 15, 2006 2:57 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Stef - I like the way you phrased that!

     
  • At February 15, 2006 3:37 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    [raising my hand]

    My feet hurt.

     
  • At February 15, 2006 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can come scrub my bathroom/shower whenever you get those urges, if it makes you feel better.

     
  • At February 15, 2006 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very well said Cookie and Stef. Although, I will say that I don't like labels.
    I consider myself progressive and open-minded but I am also conservative and traditional in other aspects of my life as well. We are constantly learning and adjusting...changing our perspective and minds.
    We are too complex to blanket ourselves with a generalization.

     
  • At February 15, 2006 5:33 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    You're right - I AM a feminist. Just not the shaved-head, lesbian-man-bashing, picket-sign-carrying, baggy-clothes-wearing, lobbying kind.

    I just thought my opening paragraph sounded funnier saying I'm 'not.' :-)

     
  • At February 15, 2006 7:23 PM, Blogger Lucy said…

    I'm not a domestic goddess the way you describe, but I do take pleasure and pride in keeping a perfect house. It's been hard lately with the lack of space in my apartment, but I can't WAIT to go all Betty Homemaker in the new space with my man. :)

     
  • At February 16, 2006 1:45 AM, Blogger Namaste said…

    my all-time fav post.

    couldn't have said it better myself, cookie.

    love,

    the monkey noise-maker ;)

    *tee-hee...

     
  • At February 16, 2006 12:38 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    You go, girl! We women can do it ALL!

     
  • At February 16, 2006 2:24 PM, Blogger tommy said…

    Don't sweat it Cookie. Individuals now marry later in life. Men are learning to become better cooks and cleaners.

    It's a survival thing

     
  • At February 16, 2006 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the role reversal, although I would be perfectly happy staying at home - even a stay at home girlfriend. I could do that!

     
  • At February 16, 2006 5:17 PM, Blogger Paige Jennifer said…

    Heck, I went to a women's college and was a women's studies major but that doesn't stop me from deriving some sort of gratification when I make a lovely dinner for a beau. As for scrubbing the tub? I'm steadfastly claiming I'm a feminist.

     
  • At February 17, 2006 4:52 AM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters