DC Cookie

Monday, January 02, 2006

Terms of Endearment

Ever wonder how I got the nickname Cookie? It originated back in college when I used 'Cookie' as a term of endearment for many of my close friends, especially my favourite fourth year 'hook up buddy,' who adopted the name and started to call me Cookie right back. It suited me more than it did him, so it stuck.

Bestowing special friends with atypical soubriquets is something I do naturally (read unintentionally). I also have a tendency to refer to people by underused variations of their common name. If you're Mike, I'll call you Mikey. If you're Wes, I'll call you Wesley. If you're Kathryn, I'll call you Kat. Or maybe I'll use your initials, or your middle name, or an inversion of your initials; or I'll add a 'ski,' a 'ster' or a 'ness' to the end of your first name, or a 'Mc' or an 'O' (or both) to the beginning of your last name. Depends on my mood and how many martinis I've shared with you. Regardless, nicknaming has always given me warm fuzzies (perhaps part of the draw of this blog thing?).

These love-isms are not necessarily unique for each person on whom they get used, but they're uniquely mine. Especially because I combine them together, or use them with certain idiosyncratic vocal intonations. Some of my favourites include (often preceded by 'my little,' or 'my sweet'):
  • Peanut
  • Sweet Pea
  • Rock Star
  • Sweetness
  • Bubba (mostly reserved for Lil Sis)
  • Mama (borrowed from ARL's VP)
  • Handsome
  • Meatball
  • Gorgeous
  • Darlin'
  • Silly Goose
  • Lucky Chicken
  • Sucker
  • Poohead
  • Playa
  • Dorkbutt

You get the picture. All of these are simply unconventional alternatives to the generic 'baby,' 'sweetie,' and 'honey' that everybody else uses*. I just prefer to get a little more inventive with my affection**, because I'm so ridiculously overflowing with it. I can't help it. It's in my bone marrow.

*Disclaimer: Charming Fellow sometimes calls me Sweetie (I'm not even sure he knows he does it), and when he does, it takes me about 30 seconds to re-solidify. But that's because he's not the complete cheese-dick that I am, and the terms of endearment are few and meaningful. Keep calling me Sweetie, okay Handsome? I heart that a lot...

**I also feel it imperative to give props to my friend Golden Bear who creates a different variation of the word Cookie every time we IM (often daily). Cook-ster-ific. Cook-a-lookie. Cook-less-ica. CookieDookieDoo. He sits atop the C-Suite of the nicknaming board; a creative level to which I aspire.

***Jordan Baker - I apologize in advance for pirating your footnote technique. One shot deal (or so I say until you approve). It just worked well here.

12 Comments:

  • At January 02, 2006 8:04 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    I'm big on nicknames myself: giving and receiving. The ones from the significants are meltworthy. Do you men know that? I've gotten "Doll" a few times, but one of my past favorites was "Toots." Thanks for sharing, Cookiemeister.

     
  • At January 03, 2006 1:24 AM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    I say baby, love, darlin, hottie, lover, and sometimes sweetie to people...

    I hope one day I'm special enough to get called something cool by Cookie. ;)

     
  • At January 03, 2006 1:26 AM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    Oh, and kids I call stinker, booger, and bubby. Haha.

     
  • At January 03, 2006 1:28 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    AM calls me 'lover.' I'm stealing it...

     
  • At January 03, 2006 8:25 AM, Blogger I-66 said…

    I'm a big fan of using "doll" and do so often... I dunno how I'd feel about using "toots" now and again.

    Nicknames are frickin HUGE.

     
  • At January 03, 2006 8:53 AM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    Dude, footnote at will! It's not like my lazy ass took out a patent on it or anything.

    In High School, we all called each other Pumpkin Butt. I no longer remember why, but it still leaps to my tongue occasionally at the most inopportune times.

    I also secretly want to call everyone "muffin" and "puppy" when I'm being sympathetic, but I'm too well aware that coming from me it would just sound snide and pretentious. And you know, it kinda would be.

     
  • At January 03, 2006 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    DCBach's real name is Richard.

     
  • At January 03, 2006 10:06 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Humourous. Although, if we're going with the trend of my post, I'd probably call him Richard (going against the grain).

     
  • At January 03, 2006 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Of course, wholly understood.

     
  • At January 03, 2006 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I call men "boobie" or "lamb". girls, it is hard to be cutsie with other than "babe" or "smoochie woochies"

     
  • At January 05, 2006 12:41 PM, Blogger caasmom said…

    I love using nicknames. I like to call people by the longest version of their names and if their names are only one syllable, then I make up something longer.

    Ex. James becomes Jamison

    My common friend nicknames are sweetie, beautiful, honey, and darlin'. My husbands nickname is Honey-Bear, or Meat Head when he is in trouble. My kids are Meat-Head Jr., MonkeyMan, and Matilda Lou, but they are all my Monkeys when referring to them at the same time.

    I got this passion for nicknaming from my mother. She called me Bertha Ray MacGillicutty so much that I told people that was my name when I was a kid. Now she just calls me Bert for short. I used to be offended when Cookie called me Momma. But I know it is a term of endearment now and I love it!

    LOVE NICKNAMES!!!! GREAT POST COOKIE!!!!
    Obviously I could go on all day on this topic, hehehe

     
  • At October 25, 2020 2:24 AM, Anonymous s4a said…

    Cookie and Sugar are awesome , same like and honey and butter...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters