DC Cookie

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Hangin' With Dad

The reason why I have an Electra complex (millennium-version: aka, seeking out in your partner all the qualities of your father) is because, simply, my Dad is the awesomest Dad alive. I could list 1,000+ reasons (humble, honest, goofy, generous...), but I won't. I'll just give you an example of why I'd be happy spending every day just hanging out with Dad.

My family went on a cruise this summer. On the first night, everyone got really decked out in fancy-schmancy formal wear and while we were taking pictures, Dad was on the balcony talking to me about the ship's engines and the physics of the wake behind the boat. We even came up with a plot as to how we'd coax the staff to let us see the engine room. There is nothing fake about my Dad. He's a brilliant man, with simple tastes, who enjoys all the small things life has to offer. It's from him I inherited my passion for logic puzzles and nature hikes.

Dad on Cruise Balcony

My parents live in Los Angeles now, which is hella far from DC, especially with how busy my life is and how hard it is to make a weekend trek to the West Coast. I only get to see my family three times a year, if I'm lucky. It sucks. This week, Dad was in town for business meetings, and I got to spend two nights having dinner with him. A little alone time with Dad makes my entire month a happy one.

I'm the luckiest daughter in the world.

15 Comments:

  • At November 03, 2005 2:21 PM, Blogger Mamma Bear said…

    You are lucky to have a great dad. I love mine too and hope to one day find a guy that is just as amazing!

     
  • At November 03, 2005 3:20 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    I've been reading a book about how a dad should raise a daughter (or in my case, daughters), and it stresses with great importance the daughter/father relationship (and yes, I realize most of you are looking at me right now and cringing).

    I have seen what a strained relationship can do through my wife and her father.

    It is something I take very seriously.

     
  • At November 03, 2005 3:32 PM, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    That is so sweet, Cookie!! Your dad is lucky to have a daughter who appreciates him so much.

     
  • At November 03, 2005 3:54 PM, Blogger Stef said…

    That's really sweet! I hope your Dad knows how special he is. Congrats on having a few Dad dates. :-)

    And Phil, congrats to you as well. I grew up with a somewhat strained relationship with my Dad, that's just in the past few years been getting a lot better. It's the first and often most important relationship with a male that most girls/women have, and it really can set the tone for a lifetime.

     
  • At November 03, 2005 5:06 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Now, how Robin already commented without throwing in a little "Fathers, be good to your daughters..." I will NEVER know. :)

     
  • At November 03, 2005 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cookie, I am right there with you--hooray that you have such a great relationship with your father. I know I value mine more than just about anything.

     
  • At November 03, 2005 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My dad taught me a lot too. (burp, gack)

     
  • At November 03, 2005 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you are a lucky girl! and even more fortunate because you appreciate how good you have it!

     
  • At November 04, 2005 4:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are few things in life that can safely attest to one's good sense and character as does having and maintaining a good relationship with your parents. Look for it in a mate, and you'll short circuit plenty of potential troubles and heartbreak. A thought for the day. Cheers, 'VJ'

     
  • At November 04, 2005 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your great relationship with your Dad speaks volumes about you as a person. I really enjoy reading your blog as you always seem so confident and unfraid to laugh at yourself.

    You don't come off as "fake" or "whiny" as some of the other bloggers.

     
  • At November 04, 2005 11:54 AM, Blogger Heather B. said…

    that was quite sweet, my father is the same in wanting to explain how things work to me. I'm sure he thinks the world of you and feels he is the luckiest father.

    (HOly shit, I'm a sappy one today)

     
  • At November 04, 2005 4:43 PM, Blogger Mamma Bear said…

    Kat,
    THAT was a given. :o)
    Cheers!

     
  • At November 04, 2005 5:59 PM, Blogger kris said…

    Beautiful! Reading this lets us know more about you too, Cookie!

     
  • At November 05, 2005 1:34 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Trust me, my parents are the type of Canadians America wants to be invaded by...

     
  • At November 05, 2005 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This American wouldn't mind "invading" that Canadian up there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters