DC Cookie

Friday, October 21, 2005

I'm an ESFJ

Try the [free-version] test yourself. Myers Briggs tells me I'm Extroverted, Sensing, Feeling and Judging. Myers Briggs must know I like to party! It's funny to me - I claim to be so shy (really, I am), and yet, I keep coming up on these things as 'extroverted.' I think now, I finally get it...
  • "ESFJs are people persons - they love people. They are warmly interested in others. They use their Sensing and Judging characteristics to gather specific, detailed information about others, and turn this information into supportive judgments. They want to like people, and have a special skill at bringing out the best in others. They are extremely good at reading others, and understanding their point of view. The ESFJ's strong desire to be liked and for everything to be pleasant makes them highly supportive of others. People like to be around ESFJs, because the ESFJ has a special gift of invariably making people feel good about themselves."
  • "ESFJs are warm and energetic. They need approval from others to feel good about themselves. They are hurt by indifference and don't understand unkindness. They are very giving people, who get a lot of their personal satisfaction from the happiness of others. They want to be appreciated for who they are, and what they give. They're very sensitive to others, and freely give practical care. ESFJs are such caring individuals, that they sometimes have a hard time seeing or accepting a difficult truth about someone they care about."
  • "ESFJs at their best are warm, sympathetic, helpful, cooperative, tactful, down-to-earth, practical, thorough, consistent, organized, enthusiastic, and energetic. They enjoy tradition and security, and will seek stable lives that are rich in contact with friends and family."
  • "Guardians of birthdays, holidays and celebrations, ESFJs are generous entertainers. They enjoy and joyfully observe traditions and are liberal in giving, especially where custom prescribes. "
  • "All else being equal, ESFJs enjoy being in charge. They see problems clearly and delegate easily, work hard and play with zest. ESFJs, as do most SJs, bear strong allegiance to rights of seniority. They willingly provide service (which embodies life's meaning) and expect the same from others. "
  • "ESFJs are easily wounded. And when wounded, their emotions will not be contained. They by nature "wear their hearts on their sleeves," often exuding warmth and bonhomie, but not infrequently boiling over with the vexation of their souls."
  • "The potential ways in which an ESFJ can irritate others include: talking too much, assuming they know the needs of others, avoiding conflict, not giving criticism when it is needed, not paying attention to their own needs, not seeing the wood for the trees, and being reluctant to try out new things or work towards new possibilities."

Interesting...Not only am I a Canadian pacifist who drinks too much, I'm also a conflict-avoiding ESFJ who talks too much.

23 Comments:

  • At October 20, 2005 11:14 PM, Blogger Jinxy said…

    ISTJ

    Go Hokies.

     
  • At October 20, 2005 11:30 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    ENFJ

    But I don't think that fits...

    # moderately expressed extrovert
    # slightly expressed intuitive personality
    # moderately expressed feeling personality
    # moderately expressed judging personality

     
  • At October 21, 2005 7:59 AM, Blogger I-66 said…

    ESFJ:

    very expressed extrovert

    slightly expressed sensing personality

    moderately expressed feeling personality

    moderately expressed judging personality

     
  • At October 21, 2005 9:33 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    i-66!!! No WONDER we get along so well.

     
  • At October 21, 2005 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ISTJ.

    The misconception is that Extroverts are party people and that Introverts are shy. The real story is that Extroverts gain energy from being around people, while Introverts need time to recharge themselves after a full social schedule.

     
  • At October 21, 2005 9:52 AM, Blogger Mamma Bear said…

    ESFJ as well :)
    I am:
    distinctively expressed extrovert

    slightly expressed sensing personality

    moderately expressed feeling personality

    moderately expressed judging personality

     
  • At October 21, 2005 9:57 AM, Blogger I-66 said…

    ...did anyone else get the feeling that a lot of those questions were the same one just worded differently?

     
  • At October 21, 2005 9:58 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Wiz - did you take psych 101 as an elective? At any rate, you are correct. It is possible to be extroverted and shy, or introverted and outgoing. I think the true meaning of the word 'extroverted' has been skewed over time.

     
  • At October 21, 2005 9:59 AM, Blogger I-66 said…

    cookie: It does make perfect sense now... though it didn't ask what hand I use to write...

     
  • At October 21, 2005 10:33 AM, Blogger Linz said…

    ESFJ! haha 62% feeling...hmm

     
  • At October 21, 2005 1:39 PM, Blogger caasmom said…

    ESFJ:
    moderately expressed extrovert

    slightly expressed sensing personality

    distinctively expressed feeling personality

    moderately expressed judging personality

    Seems I am an outgoing,heartless,emotional basketcase, pain in the ass. Hmmm...sound about right : )

     
  • At October 21, 2005 2:08 PM, Blogger A Unique Alias said…

    Wow. Those were some bullshit questions.

    "When considering a situation you pay more attention to the current situation and less to a possible sequence of events"

    It all depends, doesn't it?

    INTJ, frighteningly titled: "The Portrait of the Mastermind."

    "Entailing or contingency planning is not an informative activity, rather it is a directive one in which the planner tells others what to do and in what order to do it. As the organizing capabilities the Masterminds increase so does their inclination to take charge of whatever is going on."

    Holy crap. I'm an asshole!

     
  • At October 21, 2005 2:36 PM, Blogger Kurt said…

    I am interested to take a professional version of this, as I am always an ExTJ on every online test, but the S - N seems to flip-flop all the time and almost cancel out. I think I am more often an ENTJ, and besides, how can you pass up being called "The Field Marshall?"

     
  • At October 21, 2005 2:51 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    yes, AUA, but in the working world we call them "VP's"

     
  • At October 21, 2005 3:33 PM, Blogger Stef said…

    INFJ (although I used to be an INTJ)

    Wiz: Love your explanation of Extravert/Introvert. I just had a conversation with a friend who was shocked that I consider myself an introvert, but it's totally about needing that quiet, alone time to recharge after seeing people.

    I'm the same as Gandhi, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Jimmy Carter. I love it!

     
  • At October 21, 2005 3:33 PM, Blogger cs said…

    What you ought to do is take the test about two hours into the next blogger happy hour -- make sure you have wireless access wherever you go -- and see how it all works out.

    Oh yeah -- INTP by the way.

     
  • At October 21, 2005 3:43 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Mass: only if you'll be there...

     
  • At October 21, 2005 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmm...I took the full Meyers-Briggs about a hundred times in school, and I always came out ENFP. This time, though, I came out ENFJ (shout out to AM). Very interesting. Thanks for the link!

     
  • At October 21, 2005 4:15 PM, Blogger cs said…

    I'm afraid to go out to those happy hours now...after seeing what's happened with metrorecluse, the cpmc, and various happy hour bloggers, I'm thinking someone might come packing heat. You know, maybe a little "Say Hello to my Good Friend..."

     
  • At October 23, 2005 1:21 AM, Blogger Jinxy said…

    DOWN goes Frazier!

    The CPMC is no more.

     
  • At October 23, 2005 4:27 PM, Blogger The Captain said…

    ESFJ as well, moderate attitudes towards everything.

    I guess this test is telling me that I don't really care about much.

     
  • At October 24, 2005 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm an INTP also, though I haven't actually taken the test since high school. I'm a lot less antisocial than I was then.

     
  • At October 27, 2005 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    INFJ. And the description is *absolutely* dead-on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters