DC Cookie

Sunday, October 02, 2005

The Army 11.2 Miler?

armytenmilerStart

When I reached mile 9 this morning, I breathed a [heavy] sigh of relief. I was beating my time from three years ago and I didn't have much further to go (or so I thought). Even with minimal training and not much rest, I was pumped about my performance. But, after at least 10 minutes, the finish line was still nowhere in sight. What the hell? Had I messed up and I was really only at mile 8? My knees were really starting to hurt. The most I'd run during training was a 10-K, so this was pushing it. Something was odd. I kept telling myself I was 'almost there,' but 'almost there' was taking forever!

When I finally crossed the finish line and slowed down to a walk, I heard the announcer saying something about 11.2 miles. What? Also, I hadn't crossed any time-verification platform, nor had I seen anyone collecting our race chips. I stopped to ask a [very good-looking] army volunteer if I had heard the announcer correctly. The officer informed me that the course had been re-routed just after the shotgun, meaning the race was no longer official. Er? (Aside: he then offered to take my chip for me, AND offered to help me remove it from my shoe. Remind me again why I didn't take him up on his offer?).

For me, that was an annoyance, but certainly not the end of the world. I'm not a particularly good runner, so I hadn't come out to break any records. But what about all those people who came from other states, or other countries even, for serious competition (not just with themselves, like this Cookie)? There were 20,000 people running this race, and not only was it 1.2 miles longer than it should have been, it wasn't official?? I suspect the city is going to have some irate runners on its hands.

The reason? A 'suspect package' on the race course. Are you fucking kidding me? I'm sorry, but this city is paranoid. Was re-routing the course not being overly cautious? If it was really such an issue, get a bomb squad in there, blow the shit up, and get on with it. But that's just my opinion at the moment...while I'm sitting here feeling a little extra tenderness in my knees. At any rate, I hope the asscorn who left a package under the 14th St. bridge sleeps like shit tonight...

Guess I'll just have to run the Cherry Blossom 10-miler too...

16 Comments:

  • At October 02, 2005 7:13 PM, Blogger DCSportsChick said…

    OMG, are you serious?!? That's a load of crap. You're right, though- there are a lot of runners who take this VERY SERIOUSLY and will not be pleased to find out that the race is not official.

    Congrats on making it, though! Woo!

     
  • At October 02, 2005 11:26 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    You're awesome for running that!

     
  • At October 03, 2005 12:29 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    The origin of the word 'asscorn.' Full credit to Phil for that one.

     
  • At October 03, 2005 8:11 AM, Blogger I-66 said…

    dclc - may you use it freely.

     
  • At October 03, 2005 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    actually, I agree with re-routing the race. Just think if something WOULD have happened. Then we would be talking about how lazy our security is. you have to take all precautions, no matter how stupid they might seem. What would rather have, a few sore knees, or thousands of charred bodies?

     
  • At October 03, 2005 8:49 AM, Blogger kris said…

    Yes, congrats on running it! ALL of it! ;)

    Asscorn is my new favorite word.

     
  • At October 03, 2005 9:40 AM, Blogger Kurt said…

    Hey look at you! You ran 1.2 miles longer... and you took it like a champ. At least you can say you've ran that far! Now you should do a half-marathon!

    Then hash.

     
  • At October 03, 2005 10:03 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Congratulations again, Cookie! The champagne brunch at Poste didn't begin to make up for the ordeal you went through earlier, but I hope it helped. You are so strong-willed. I would have been walking at mile 10.

     
  • At October 03, 2005 10:13 AM, Blogger Phil said…

    I would have guessed that we messed up on the metric system or something. We Americans never learned that crap, you know.

     
  • At October 03, 2005 10:18 AM, Blogger cs said…

    I'd agree with anonymous if the package turned out to be say a 747 or something, but it was probably some homeless person's used kleenex box.

     
  • At October 03, 2005 11:34 AM, Blogger Jinxy said…

    Congrats on the finish.

    I thought yesterday was a bit of a fiasco. Not only did they not have any plan to organize people according to what their expected run times would be prior to the race, the lack of information being given out on the race course about what was going on was ridiculous.

    I hit the wall about mile 7.5 because of the heat. I had to keep pushing, but saw a lot of people start dropping out when there looked to be no end in sight and the course wasn't going where it was supposed to.

    Then at the end there was no timing mat, and they herded you like cattle for 20 minutes before they started to hand out water.

    And then I didn't see anyone handing out those stupid assed coins.

    For more griping, go to the ATM bulletin board and see what others are bitching about.

    Sorry, but if you're going to make such a major change as invalidating the race results and not handing out any prizes and calling it a "fun run", you'd better have than a "Suspicious Package".

    What a joke.

     
  • At October 03, 2005 1:14 PM, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said…

    OMG, that fucking SUCKS ASS! I woulda been really pissed off. When I was a runner, my times were EVERYTHING to me. Pisser, man!

    As for the Cherry Blossom race, it is notoriously MISERABLE weather for that beeyotch. One time I ran, there were 50 mile per hour winds and it was 32 degrees at the starting time. Try running across Memorial Bridge in that wind. Oddly, the following weekend at the GW Parkway Classic, the weather seems to always be REALLY nice.

    Anyway, congrats on the 11.2!

     
  • At October 03, 2005 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats on finishing the race, though! WOW! That is very impressive. Even when I ran track (back in the day), I never did like long distance running. It takes a special talent. So congrats to you for going further than you thought you could (or at least wanted to), Cookie!

     
  • At October 03, 2005 5:13 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Yeah - you know, the more I think about it, the action taken was probably necessary. The people of New Orleans probably said the same thing about the levees...why take precaution? It's just annoying when it turns out to be a pile of construction material. D-oh!

     
  • At October 03, 2005 5:43 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    Think of it this way. .. now you can look down your nose at people who run paltry little ten milers.

     
  • At October 04, 2005 4:30 PM, Blogger Mamma Bear said…

    I heard about that and thought of how pissed off I would have been. The extra running calls for an extra drink ;o)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters