DC Cookie

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Old Friends

I'm not really one to talk on the phone much. It bores me. Unless you're a boy I'm head-over-heels swooning over, my phone conversations are kept to a minimum. Yes, I screen my calls. I often don't answer. Because most of the time, I just don't feel like talking. It's not the caller. If you have my number, I'm pretty sure I like you. It's me. I don't get a lot of 'me' time, so when I'm graced with a few hours alone, it's not likely the phone will be answered. Perhaps that's why I am not the best about keeping in touch. When people move, I don't call very often, I send e-mails infrequently, and I visit when I can.

That being said, despite my inability to make frequent contact with my near and dear friends and family who are not in DC (which represents the majority), the visits we do finally get to have are invaluable. Quality over quantity any day. Just because I might not tell you all the time that I love you and miss you, when I do say it, you know I mean it.

West Wing mini Reunion

This past weekend, prior to the wild shenanigans of the bachelorette party, I got to spend time with two of my good girlfriends who used to work with me. One transferred to another office, the other left the firm altogether to start a career in television production (currently working for the Oprah show). The likelihood of us being in the same city at the same time is rare, but last Friday, we were all in Chicago. In our heyday we were big party girls (Were? Yeah, yeah, okay, still are), so we had all these crazy ideas of a wild night in the city. But by the time we met up and were drinking our first glass of wine, we decided it would be way more fun to hibernate and ruminate over ghetto-fab cheese and crackers. Ah, the blessing of girl-bonding time.

There are a lot of special people I really don't get to see more than once a year, at most. But when I do finally see them, I'm left completely fulfilled. The people who touch you aren't always the ones you see every day, but rather, the ones who have contributed something amazing to your life. Something lasting. Do I call these girls all the time? No. Would I make a huge sacrifice for them if they needed me? Yes. 'Nuff said.

So if I don't call you very often, remember it's because I believe face-to-face time carries a lot more value than a quickie 'What's new?' over the phone.

8 Comments:

  • At September 01, 2005 1:17 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I sure am glad I'm more in the "new friend" category, then. I get phone calls, emails, IM, voicemail, etc. Although, we have hit our six- or seven-month anniversary. Is the honeymoon period over??

     
  • At September 01, 2005 2:29 PM, Blogger VP of Dior said…

    it's funny how some people don't "do" phone calls. i'm a phone person but i appreciate any kind of communication from my friends because i know it shows they care.

     
  • At September 01, 2005 2:44 PM, Blogger vixen said…

    do you have a missed connection?

    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mis/94763659.html

     
  • At September 01, 2005 7:30 PM, Blogger aNON said…

    DC cookie, I'm anxiously waiting on all the 411 about Canadian girls :)

    Are you Canadian?

     
  • At September 02, 2005 9:52 AM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    You may not keep in touch as much as you would like, but it sounds like you are true blue. :::cue Madonna song:::

     
  • At September 02, 2005 12:24 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    CS: Yes sir, I'm definitely Canadian. Greencard holding and everything. Canadian girls...I think that might be a good topic for a post next week.

    Miss M: Cute, but that wasn't me.

     
  • At September 02, 2005 3:26 PM, Blogger Namaste said…

    from booth 22 to Men-ver and beyond, I have never once questioned your friendship, Cookie. never. what's so funny is that since neither of us are phone people, when the phone rings and it's you, i always know that you're calling because it's a big deal.

    love ya!

     
  • At January 04, 2008 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hm. So I came across your blog after doing a Google search for "accent egu" in an attempt to settle a bet...I lost the bet, but you're friggin' adorable, so it's aiiight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters