DC Cookie

Monday, September 12, 2005

Appreciating Our Servicemen

One of my favourite people in the world has been over in Iraq for the last six months. He had been in the army reserves for quite a while, and decided last summer to quit his high-powered consulting job for a patriotic tour of duty. Voluntarily. It takes a person of strong character to do something like that. The Arlington contingent is ridiculously proud of its friend.

Ry_cheese01
R.E.'s service yearbook photo.

A few days ago, R.E. came back to the States for a quick leave of absence before returning for the rest of his tour. He shared a few stories that pulled at my heart strings, so I thought I would share.

1. On the second leg of his return flight between Atlanta and DC, the pilot got on the speaker and announced that they were lucky to be flying with seven of the country's active servicemen returning from Iraq. The entire plane applauded. At this point, the Peruvian man sitting next to R.E. asked him to explain what had just happened. He didn't speak english very well. He and R.E. chatted to the best of R.E.'s ability. At the end of the conversation, the man removed his bracelet (native from Peru) and handed it to R.E. saying, "You must have this, it will bring you good luck."

2. Since it's best told from the man himself, here is an e-mail I received from R.E. a few days after he arrived home:

"On less than five hours sleep in the previous two days, just off 15 hours in an airplane from Kuwait to Atlanta, I'm in my smelly uniform waiting to get my ticket for the next leg of my trip. I get a call from area code 614 and assume it's one of my friends from Ohio.

Me:
Hello?
Caller: Hi, is this R.E.?
Me: Yes.
Caller: Hi, R.E., this is Debbie from Coach Tressel's office (he's the head coach of the Buckeyes for those who aren't from Ohio).
Me: Hi, Debbie. (What the hell?)
Debbie: Hi. Coach Tressel really liked your letter and he wanted to know what your schedule was for the next couple of weeks.
Me: Oh, well I'm in DC tonight, Ohio tomorrow and I'll be there until the 16th.
Debbie: Okay, great. Let me call you back later today.

About an hour later...
Debbie: Hi, R.E., it's Debbie again. Coach Tressel wants to know if you'd like to stop by practice on Thursday.
Me: (Would I??? Woman, I'd push Schleiff into oncoming traffic to meet the coach and team.) Sure, what time?
"

Turns out, while visiting the coach, R.E. was asked to say a few motivational words to the players, only two days away from the big Texas game. R.E. has been a Buckeye aficionado for 30 years. How many college football fans do you think get the chance to be completely encircled by their favourite team (besides Rudy)? Thanks Coach T. for recognizing the valour of our armed forces, and for giving one very honourable infantryman a day to remember.

Ryan_OhioStateSpeaking
R.E. with the entire Buckeye football program on its knees.

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters