DC Cookie

Monday, August 22, 2005

Eligibility Circle

Opinion poll. Here are three somewhat recent scenarios in my life. I don't see the harm in any of them. It's DC. It's a small city. These things are bound to happen, and life should just progress onwards. I don't think familiarity should be a limiting factor when you're not dealing with serious emotional attachments or relationship history.

1. Break up with ex. At bar one night, run into someone I originally met MANY years ago through the ex. They're acquaintances. I don't really think they run in the same social circles, at least not frequently. We flirt. A lot. Ex already has a new girlfriend. There is no chance of a reunion between me and the ex. Do I assume the friend knows everything, or do I talk about it up front? Is the friend a viable candidate?

2. Hanging out with group of friends. One guy in group is being very flirtatious. He eventually asks for my number. I've dated one of his friends before. Never seriously, with mutual agreement that it wasn't going to go anywhere. Do I have to limit myself from going out with this guy because I've gone out with his friend? Should I be skeptical about his intentions (assuming guys talk)? Viable candidate?

3. Again, hanging out with a group of friends. End up talking to a guy who seems familiar, but can't place from where. We go through a list of people we know and places we typically go. Finally, we discover that he went on a few dates with a girlfriend of mine a while back, nothing serious. I know the girl is already smitten with somebody else. Viable candidate?

In Cookie's opinion, the only 'off-limit' candidates should be a) ex-boyfriends of your good friends; b) guys your friends have been smitten with for many years (with the caveat that a good friend would probably not prevent you from dating said guy if she knew he were smitten with you in the same way); and c) guys your friends are currently dating/pursuing.

Meh, what do I know?

17 Comments:

  • At August 22, 2005 2:03 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    HAHAHA!

    4) Married men.

    Minor, but extremely important oversight there...

     
  • At August 22, 2005 2:17 PM, Blogger The Captain said…

    You'll know #3 better than any of us, the other girl was your friend.

    As for the first two, guys do talk, but we don't really share anything too personal with people we don't hang out with on a regular basis. You should be safe.

     
  • At August 22, 2005 2:40 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    I don't know many guys who'd care much, if at all, about one of their friends seeing someone that they themselves saw once or twice - nothing serious. I think it should be fine... I agree with The Captain on #3 - you would know better than us whether she'd have a problem with it. As much as we'd like to make blanket rules things unfortunately work on a case-by-case basis - even if the rule applies 99% of the time, your friend might be the 1%.

     
  • At August 22, 2005 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Date away, my friend!

     
  • At August 22, 2005 4:03 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    1 & 2 are acceptable. The guy(s) is interested, that's all you need to know. You'll figure out the motive later (if any).

    #3 is not unacceptable, but unadvisable. Girls get jealous (read your previous blogs). This girl, when/if she finds out will be jealous, and probably hate you. If you don't care, date. If you do care, stay away.

     
  • At August 22, 2005 4:12 PM, Blogger vixen said…

    options 1 and 2: not a big deal

    option 3: i would at least mention to this girlfriend that you are contemplating dating this guy...in case it gets back to her later and she wonders why you didn't tell her

     
  • At August 22, 2005 4:17 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Actually - I remember meeting him through the girl at a bar a while back (once we figured out how we knew each other), and I recall her saying something like "oh, that was Boy I went out with a few times and the chemistry wasn't there, so I didn't pursue date 3." I guarantee she'd be okay with it.

     
  • At August 22, 2005 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Forge ahead. Bridges may burn, but it's not your fault they were made of wood.


    "Ah, but can you not also make bridges out of stone?"

     
  • At August 22, 2005 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are too many men in the world. Maybe you should even change your circle because it seems that you get the same gift wrapped in a different package almost all the time. Thu, I conclude that maybe you need to make a switch and let the 6 degrees of seperation remain in tact. No need of acting on any of thos eopting because they are all off limits.

     
  • At August 22, 2005 4:44 PM, Blogger VP of Dior said…

    All seem to be "viable". More importantly are you OK with any possible "ick" factor like you hooking up with someone a friend has (granted that's happening in one of the scenarios?)....go with what you feel most comfortable with.

     
  • At August 22, 2005 4:51 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At August 22, 2005 5:04 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    There is no such thing as 6 degrees of separation in DC. I'd have to move to Alaska.

     
  • At August 22, 2005 6:42 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    So..if a witch weighs the same as a duck...then she's made of wood..?

     
  • At August 22, 2005 6:56 PM, Blogger roosh said…

    all are fair game

    who cares what the ex thinks

     
  • At August 22, 2005 9:11 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    At least your have enough heightened perception to see these dating mine fields, Miss Cookie.

    And yes, married men #1 on the list, despite their "We don't sleep together, and we're getting a divorce" speeches.

    Phil is right about #3. She may be dating and out of the picture, but past history can trigger strange uncharted behaviors, so caution, caution.

     
  • At August 23, 2005 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    RE: The 'Ick' factor. When speaking of this to a southern audience make certain to carefully preclude any direct 'blood' relations here. So I propose a general 'no relatives' rule. This applies to ex-step dads and moms too. I call it the Jerry Springer clause.

    Cheers, 'VJ'

     
  • At August 23, 2005 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Girls and guys think differently, at least the guys I know. If I'm friends with a guy, I'll never touch any girl that he already has "touched". Trust that you would probably be viewed in an undesirable way by the guys. Right or wrong? I don't know, but that's the reality.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters