DC Cookie

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Buffalo

Why am I posting about Buffalo? First, because I just don't feel like writing anything controversial or remotely associated with dating life today. Second, because I love that word. Buffalo. It's so meaty. Every time I say the word my mind wanders towards thoughts of snow and juicy steak, which in turn reminds me of the homeland. I adore Buffalo for:

The City
Buffalo_NY_Map
On the cosmopolitan scale, Buffalo is not exactly leading the way. But there are so many great things about Buffalo. Discount shopping. Original 'buffalo' wings at Anchor bar. Proximity to Niagara Falls, one of the seven wonders of the world (eight, if you count me). Proximity to Canada. Snow, including adequate means of removing the snow from city streets. Towns with cool Indian names like 'the Tonawondas.' The Great Lakes. Last call at 4:00 am. Which leads to my next point...

The Club Life
At the Airport
I spent a weekend in Buffalo with some friends, including a particularly handsome, international DJ acquaintance. Fabulous experience.

The Football Team
Buffalo_Bills_Logo
I love the Buffalo Bills. One of the best professional sports moments of my life (next to being in downtown Toronto when the Blue Jays won the world series for the second time) was sitting at a Buffalo Bills home game, in the outdoor arena, in December of 2002, while it was snowing. My ex and I were bundled up with a beer in one hand and a hot chocolate in the other. Football in the warm sunshine is ridiculously boring in comparison.

The Food
Bison_Steak
Bison (contrary to popular nomenclature, the animal found in America is not actually buffalo, but bison. Buffalo is just the nickname. True buffalo only live in Africa) is one of the richest, leanest meats you can eat. Leaner than beef or poultry. I'm a carnivore. I like meat. And thanks to my friend Golden Bear, I now know where I can eat it in the Arlington area!

The Animal
bison_sitting
Come on. These things are just so freaking bad-ass. They're massive. They're furry. They can live in extreme heat or extreme cold and not really care either way. They roam in large groups. They're chill. If I were an animal, I'd want to be a Bison. Or maybe a Caribou.

18 Comments:

  • At August 31, 2005 1:18 PM, Blogger The Boy said…

    Oh yeah, and don't forget that I'm from Buffalo. :-)

     
  • At August 31, 2005 1:24 PM, Blogger VP of Dior said…

    i am very fond of anything boneless done "buffalo style", i.e. chicken fingers. yummmmm

     
  • At August 31, 2005 1:39 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    what, like the boneless honey bbq wings at KFC?

    ...and Cookie, you strike me as more caribou than bison. I think that's a compliment.

     
  • At August 31, 2005 2:24 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Boy - of 'course' I remember you're from Buffalo. Doesn't surprise me actually. Buffalonians tend to be fabulous.

     
  • At August 31, 2005 2:44 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Cookie is cariboutiful.

     
  • At August 31, 2005 3:08 PM, Blogger Lucy said…

    Elvis, my grandmother's name was like that - Woijeczhjoiska, or something equally insane. I know how to pronounce it, though - Voy-cha-HUS-ka! My grandmother was definitely not a blonde babe, though... more like dark, large Polish peasant.

     
  • At August 31, 2005 3:22 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    Is this going to set of a string of plays on words using caribou? If so, I have a lock on "caribooyah"

     
  • At August 31, 2005 3:26 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Phil would probably be able to think of some good ones. And Cubie might have a Caribou Cocktail up her sleeve somewhere.

     
  • At August 31, 2005 4:19 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    Of course I do, Miss Cookie:

    Caribou Martini recipe
    2 oz chilled Stoli® Kafya vodka
    2 oz chilled Champagne
    Pour the Stoli Kafya (a coffee-flavored vodka) into a cocktail glass. Top with champagne and stir gently. Garnish with a lemon twist, add a coffee bean, and serve.


    Buffalo Chip Shot
    1/2 oz Bacardi® 151 rum
    1/2 oz Wild Turkey® bourbon whiskey
    Pour both ingredients into a shot glass, and shoot.


    Hairy Buffalo Punch
    Scale ingredients to servings
    1/5 part gin
    1/5 part 151 proof rum
    1/5 part Jose Cuervo® Especial gold tequila
    1/5 part Absolut® vodka
    1/5 part Jack Daniel's® Tennessee whiskey
    fruit
    2 cans fruit punch
    ice cubes
    Mix all ingredients into a large cooler, punch bowl or garbage can (a new one). Cut larger fruit into pieces & add. Serve in Punch Bowl.

     
  • At August 31, 2005 4:30 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    (racking brain)

    HMmm...Caribou is a tough one...

    How 'bout..Cariboobs? I don't know what that means, but it has something to do with 'boobs'.

    Used to describe large, deer-like boobs?

     
  • At August 31, 2005 5:31 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    You should have discussed more about wings. As in you talked about orig wings (location)...but I was thinking more "Why buffalo wings pay homage to buffalo: a history - and no Jessica, it's not really buffalo."

     
  • At September 01, 2005 9:21 AM, Blogger GwenMarieDC said…

    XXVIII Jan. 30, 1994 Dallas 30, Buffalo 13
    XXVII Jan. 31, 1993 Dallas 52, Buffalo 17

    Yeah…I love Buffalo too…Ha!
    JK Heart you Cookie!

     
  • At September 01, 2005 10:04 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    And so began my love of the Buffalo Bills, when the poor saps when to 4 superbowls in a row and lost every time. Something about the team that is so close, but yet so far.

     
  • At September 01, 2005 11:18 AM, Blogger GwenMarieDC said…

    Gotta love the underdog ;) That's clearly where I find my boys today...

    Smooches

     
  • At September 01, 2005 11:32 AM, Blogger cs said…

    Buffalo has many fine Craftsman Era homes and furnishings.

     
  • At September 01, 2005 12:23 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    PIP... just when I begin to forget, you remind me.

     
  • At September 01, 2005 12:58 PM, Blogger The Captain said…

    Buffalonians? Is that for real? I guess if I had been asked, I would have said Buffalites.

    And I do particularly love one of Buffalo's Super Bowl losses.

     
  • At September 01, 2005 3:50 PM, Blogger GwenMarieDC said…

    You know you love it i-66 :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters