DC Cookie

Monday, August 01, 2005

Awkward Moments

I swear, the dating world can be so difficult sometimes. Recall, I avoid confrontation and difficult situations as often as possible. When I have disagreements with people (although rare), it’s usually over e-mail. When I have to tell someone something difficult, I spend about eight hours preparing myself, on the verge of vomiting, and then often end up chickening out and ignoring the issue entirely, or only saying half of what I meant to say. Add that confrontation-avoidance to the world of dating, where assertiveness is required to either a) get what you want or b) get away from what you don’t want, and you can just end up with one big ol’ awkward dilemma.

Take this weekend for instance. Cookie, the big sucker for making sure everyone ‘else’ is having a good time, volunteers to take an out-of-town acquaintance around DC for a tour of everything the city has to offer. It was his first time here, and the few other people he knew in DC were away for the weekend. Lots of pressure for me to make it a good experience, but I’m gracious that way, and besides, I got to do those typical DC things that us residents often avoid (damn annoying tourists!!).

Here is where the awkward part comes in. After a full day of site-seeing and an early roof deck dinner (during which there was much conversation about my current crush, where we met, how I know him, why I like him, etc., etc. - giving off NO vibes that I was wanting anything from this out-of-town guy except to be tour guide), we go back to the car and he goes in for a kiss. SHIT! F**K! I ducked. I mean – we’re not just talking turn the face so he hits the cheek, we're talking full-on hand-blocking, face-tilting, run-to-other-side-of-the-curb motion to avoid the contact altogether. What was I supposed to do? This wasn't a date!! I felt like a complete ass, but I had no other choice. I wasn’t interested, and I really didn’t think that I’d acted in any manner that might suggest I was. I suppose it got better from there once we laughed about it, he recovered, and I actually used the term '82nd Airborne' to describe what I'd just done and why. But gawd, those first few minutes afterwards were the worst.

Ugh…it can just be so f'n uncomfortable sometimes!

19 Comments:

  • At August 01, 2005 2:59 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I'm sorry I couldn't come out with you this weekend and help run interference. I had no idea this had happened. :(

    Signed,
    The Reason JB Invented The Term 82nd Airborne, Who Still Strongly Supports the Move

     
  • At August 01, 2005 3:35 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    It's nice to be irresistable, I guess.

    Perhaps next time you shouldn't conduct your tours in the nude.

     
  • At August 01, 2005 3:36 PM, Blogger Johnny said…

    haha.

    he's such a novice.

     
  • At August 01, 2005 3:38 PM, Blogger A Unique Alias said…

    Poor guy.

     
  • At August 01, 2005 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We need duenas when we go out. As Kathryn said, "someone to run interference."

     
  • At August 01, 2005 3:45 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    You can believe I brought extra duenas the next night for dinner!!

     
  • At August 01, 2005 4:24 PM, Blogger Mamma Bear said…

    Poor out of towner, no clue.
    It can be so strange...sorry!

     
  • At August 01, 2005 4:30 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Um, yeah. If that had happened, I would have started running and never turned back around...

     
  • At August 01, 2005 4:38 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Oh, I definitely wouldn't say that. Very nice guy. Just didn't realize this wasn't a date...

     
  • At August 01, 2005 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    um.. who is your crush that you talked on and on about????? There are a few in your stories... we get confused...

     
  • At August 01, 2005 4:51 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    First Rule of Dating:

    It is never a date unless both parties agree

    At least there was some recovery but I don't blame you for bailing like your ass was on fire. No sympathy for him, though, he's the one who took the risk.

     
  • At August 01, 2005 5:01 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    I plead the 5th...

     
  • At August 01, 2005 5:10 PM, Blogger Jamy said…

    That is so funny. At least you two were able to laugh if off and enjoy the rest of the evening.

    It's almost instinct to duck, cheek-block or avoid an unexpected kiss. I dodged a kiss just last week--from someone I really like! (I kissed him quickly after that to avoid confusion.)

     
  • At August 01, 2005 6:38 PM, Blogger roosh said…

    you shouldn't have led him on. poor guy

     
  • At August 01, 2005 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I had known that you were in trouble, I would have bought you a shot and stuck my tongue down your throat right in front of him ;)

     
  • At August 01, 2005 7:05 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Meow! A kamikaze shot??? This happened Saturday, not Friday... but thanks for looking out! Might hold you to that offer another time.

     
  • At August 01, 2005 9:33 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said…

    That makes me thankful that I never went in for a kiss when hanging out with a boy I like who was talking about his ex girlfriend...I might have put myself in a similar situation. Hah.

    Seriously, if you were talking about a crush to him, at dinner with him - don't you think he should have gathered that did NOT translate to "but I want to make out with you?"

     
  • At August 02, 2005 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One has to wonder if you would have blocked him suddenly trying to go down on you.

     
  • At August 02, 2005 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bob and weave babe, bob and weave! I have to say, I've been "That guy" a few times in life. Sometimes we get a little excited, what can one say. ;P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters