DC Cookie

Friday, June 24, 2005

Gym Date

It’s an age-old concept, but I don’t find enough people doing it anymore…a workout date. Back in January when I had just broken up with the BF after realizing it wasn’t going in the direction I wanted it to, I met a super sweet guy at a promotion who offered the perfect distraction from my momentary despondency. Date number one was a Wizards game. After lots of chatting, it came up that we worked out at the same gym (then again…who DOESN’T work out at Gold’s these days?). So for date number two, he suggested meeting him at the gym for a little cardio workout. Yikes!! If I said no, it would appear that I didn’t work out the way I claimed (I’d been blabbing about training for a 10-k…at which point I made a mental note to actually go and sign up for one), so I hesitantly said I’d meet him there at 8. My heart was in my throat. We decided to hit the treadmills first. I started up, paranoid that I’d a) trip and fall mid-run, slap-stick style, or b) not be able to keep up. I was so busy being nervous and keeping a steady pace with him, that after 3 miles, he slowed down to a walk, and I was still jonesing for more. I realized that my nervous energy, surrounded by my fear of not being able to keep up, actually helped me rally and push myself. I was hooked. I would never say no to a gym date again from that point forward.

I did it again last night…hit the gym with nice UVA boy. When you set up the gym meeting, neither one of you can get lazy and back out. And once you’re there, you have to be in top form. Me: I ran 4 miles. If I’d gone on my own, I probably would have run 2 and called it a night. Him: Although I was watching the NBA finals for the most part, I’m sure I caught him doing a few extra, slow reps on the push-up machine for my benefit. I pretended not to be, but yes…I was looking.

The best part – when it’s all over, you’ve gotten a fantastic workout in and stimulated the imagination with each other’s physical prowess. But since you’re drenched in sweat, there’s zero pressure for the date to be anything more than it was…an excuse to workout. You can’t go back to his place or him to yours…because you both need a shower and a change of clothes.

7 Comments:

  • At June 24, 2005 2:42 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    HELLO!?!? Missed opportunity to shower TOGETHER?!?!

    J/K - you know Charlotte would never do anything like that. Sigh.

     
  • At June 24, 2005 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    kathryns right.

    perfect op to grab you some soaped up trouser snake!

     
  • At June 26, 2005 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really genius. I think you have really discovered something here.

     
  • At June 27, 2005 10:56 PM, Blogger Rhea said…

    My first date with my now-fiance was a 25-mile bike ride. The second date was a more sedate dinner and movie ....

     
  • At June 28, 2005 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm confused...if you're both running your asses off on the treadmill, how is there any talking/getting to know one another on this "date?"
    maybe it's because i can't run any distance and talk at the same time, but i don't see this as a real date opportunity. i'm all for different and non-traditional dating experiences, but i don't think i could pull this one off.

     
  • At June 28, 2005 12:05 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Interesting point. Certainly not a great 'first date' option. There's always weight-lifting too...easier to chat then. Or share a Gatorade afterwards. Figure if you have to go to the gym anyways, why not go with someone you're crushing on to make the workout that much better.

     
  • At June 28, 2005 2:26 PM, Blogger Mamma Bear said…

    The ex wanted to meet me for our first date AFTER the gym...for a water or a coffee. I told him NO THANKS since I did not want my first date impression of me to be "sweaty gym girl."
    Or the time the guy I was dating went to the same gym (of course Gold's) and so I was taking the cylcing class the same time I knew he wouldbe coming in so that I would look like Get In Shape Girl. HA!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters