DC Cookie

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A-Game

I went on a first date with a nice, wholesome UVA boy last night. I showed him around some of the classic Arlington hangouts (draft house and Bob ‘n Edith’s). At the end of the date, we were discussing rendezvous number two, which we determined would involve other friends. My date, looking out for the happiness of his dudes, asked if I had any hot, single lady-friends like myself that I’d be out with, to which I responded I had several. I told him that all of the ladies of A.R.L. were gorgeous, successful, fun, energetic, intelligent, out-going and sweet; and if his friends wanted a chance with them, they better bring their A-game. His question to me at this point is a question that took me quite a while to answer. “What do you mean by A-game?”

What DID I mean? I wasn’t suggesting they needed to show up spinning a basketball on their finger, nor was I suggesting that they should show up with a harem of ladies on their arms. A guy with an A-game is the guy at the bar that peaks our initial interest, and keeps it after opening his mouth. A guy with an A-game is one to whom we’ll give our number and cross our fingers that he’ll call (The Waiting).

That being said, here are some Dos and Don’ts of an A-gamer (all of which came up while I explained to my date, in detail, what constituted an A-game…and of course, reassured him that he was on top of his the night I gave him my digits):

Do
· Approach the girl with something more to say than “hi,” but something less than “want to go home with me tonight?” I recommend a subtle compliment to get the ball rolling.
· Look her in the eye when you’re talking.
· Buy her a drink. One is fine. She’s a keeper if she returns the favour.
· Wear something respectable and clean. You don’t have to be Rico Suave in an Armani suit, but do you really think that a baseball cap, wrinkled shirt and flip flops is going to win us over?
· Have something interesting to talk about. Open-minded opinions on current events, music and culture are good starting points.
· Be courteous. Chivalry is NOT dead and will get you everywhere. We want to date a guy we can bring home to our moms.
· Pay attention to what the girl is saying. If you remember small details from your initial conversation, you’ll win big points on your first date.

Do Not
· Send a friend to tell the girl you want to talk to her.
· Be pretentious. You won’t get anywhere by flaunting your money. We like the idea of a man who is our financial equal, but subtlety is the key.
· Get so hammered that you can’t string a full sentence together without slurring or swaying.
· Be negative, rude, or curse every sentence. Again, we want to be able to bring you home to our moms.
· Tell a girl you think she’s beautiful while staring at her chest the entire time (sneak peaks are okay, but don’t ogle).
· Be too aggressive. Give the girl some personal space, and please…don’t grope us before we’ve had a chance to find out your last name. Gross! We want a guy who is interested in getting to know us, not a guy who is pressed!
· Flirt with several other girls after just having flirted with us.
· Call her 10 minutes after getting her number. She’ll think you’re desperate. Wait at least a day, and have a game plan in mind of where you want to take her next.

10 Comments:

  • At June 15, 2005 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jess, I love your blog! I'm going to book part your blob so I can stay up to date on what is going on with all the Arlington girls. :) I look forward to hearing/reading about date number 2. so where did you find this nice UVA boy?

     
  • At June 16, 2005 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love it. I did all the Dont's at least once last night....Woohoo

    -GB

     
  • At June 16, 2005 9:08 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I have experienced SO MANY do-nots. Actually, didn't that last one happen to me the other night?? :)

    Keep up the good work!

     
  • At June 16, 2005 11:37 AM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    GB - I'm sure you did all the DOs too...

     
  • At June 16, 2005 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, I'll bite: what's the A.R.L.?

     
  • At June 16, 2005 1:58 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    A.R.L. = Alpha Rho Lambda. Came from spending too much time with the Arlington ladies and deciding we were just like a sorority (well, all the good points anyway).

     
  • At June 16, 2005 2:17 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Kinda like the POP but with more girls and more organized events. They even have a beach week coming up, thank god they liked the POP enough to extend an invite!! ;)

     
  • At June 16, 2005 2:37 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    The POP are rushing A.R.L. hee hee

     
  • At June 16, 2005 2:46 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Nah, we're those chicks with the rockin' house on 14th St who never rushed. ;)

    Role reversal!

     
  • At June 22, 2005 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good Times. I will agree with all but one Don't: On a night out, there is a limited amount of time a girl has to show interest while I am flirting with her, and if she doesn't respond... well hell... I am moving on. Flirt back if you want him to stick around and ignore the other girls for the night.

    Anyhow, J doesn't need to worry about this. She is always rockin' her A game.

    -Kurt

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free webpage counters